Names of Plants in India :: Pueraria tuberosa (Roxb. ex Willd.) DC.

Dinesh Valke

Apr 28, 2013, 12:17:08 PM4/28/13
to efloraofindia, Tabish Qureshi
via Species‎ > ‎P‎ > ‎

Pueraria tuberosa (Roxb. ex Willd.) DC. ... family: Fabaceae, also placed in Papilionaceae

Pueraria tuberosa (Roxb. ex Willd.) DC.

Flowers of India Discussions at efloraofindia more views in flickr more views on Google Earth

pew-er-RAY-ree-uh -- named for Marc Nicolas Puerari, Swiss botanist ... Dave's Botanary
too-ber-OH-suh or tew-ber-OH-suh -- tuberous ... Dave's Botanary

commonly known as: Indian kudzu, Nepalese kudzuBengali: শিমিআবাতরাজী shimia batrajiDogri: sayaliGujarati: ભોંયકોળું bhonyakolum, વિદારીકંદ vidarikandaHindi: बनकुमड़ा bankumara, बिलाई कन्द bilayi kandKannada: ಭೂ ಸಕ್ಕರೆ ಗಡ್ಡೆ bhoo sakkare gadde, ಗುಮ್ಮಡಿ ಗಿಡ gummadi gidaKonkani: ¿ बिरमुळो birmulo ? • Malayalam: മുതുക്ക് mutukkMarathi: बेंदरवेल bendarvel, भरडा bharda, भुईकोहळा bhuikohala, दारी dari, घोडवेल ghodvel, विदारी vidariNepali: बिरालि कन्द birali kandaOriya: କଟକା katakaPunjabi: ਸਿਆਲੀ siali, ਸੁਰਾਲਾ suralaSanskrit: भूमिकुष्माण्ड bhumikusmanda, गजवाजिप्रिया gajavajipriya, इक्षुगन्धा iksu-gandha, कन्दपलाश kandapalash, स्वादुकन्दा svadukanda, विदारी vidariTamil: கரிக்கும்மடி karikkummati, நிலப்பூசனி nila-p-pucaniTelugu: దారి గుమ్మడి dari gummadi, నేల గుమ్మడి nela gummadi

botanical names: Pueraria tuberosa (Roxb. ex Willd.) DC. ... synonyms: Hedysarum tuberosum Roxb. ex Willd. (basionym)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Photographed at Bondla Wildlife Sanctuary, Goa on 19 FEB 12

More views of this sighting:
Mutukk (Malayalam: മുതുക്ക്) Indian Kudzu Nepalese Kudzu Karikkummati (Tamil: கரிக்கும்மடி) Dari Gummadi (Telugu: దారి గుమ్మడి)

Regards.
Dinesh

vip...@gmail.com

Apr 29, 2013, 5:31:21 AM4/29/13
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, Tabish Qureshi

Have known this twiner as ખાખરવેલ / Khakhar-vel, suggestive of its trifoliate leaves akin to ખાખરો / Khakhro i.e. Butea monosperma. The Gujarati name વિદારીકંદ / Vidari-kand is indicative of the underground tubers that have to be ripped out of the ground ( વિદારવું ). Yet another Gujarati name of this plant is ફગડાનો વેલો / Phagadano Velo since the new leaves emerge in the month of ફાગણ / Phagan.

Best wishes, Viplav

--

---

Dinesh Valke

May 3, 2013, 10:27:37 AM5/3/13
to vip...@gmail.com, efloraofindia, Tabish Qureshi
Thank you very much Viplav ji for the interesting names of Pueraria tuberosa in Gujarati. Thanks for the additional information. Will incorporate them into my notes post this Asteraceae Part I fortnight.

Regards.
Dinesh

Donald Jones

May 3, 2013, 8:49:45 AM5/3/13
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, Tabish Qureshi
Dear Mr. Valke,

I am seeking a verification about the name of the scientist in whose
honour this genus is named. I ask because I often visit Thailand where
we have several kudzus and I have some local literature which credits
the name as M. W. Puerari.  I am getting mixed results on the
internet, M. W. as well as M. N. Puerari. Thanks in advance for any
help in this regard and compliments for your haunting photography.

With regards, Donald

On 4/28/13, Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> भरडा
> bharda<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/marathi/bharada-bharda>,
> भुईकोहळा
> bhuikohala<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/marathi/bhu-ikohala-bhuikohala>,
> दारी
> dari<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/marathi/dari-dari>,
> घोडवेल
> ghodvel<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/marathi/ghodavela-ghodvel>,
> विदारी
> vidari<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/marathi/vidari-vidari>•
> *Nepali*: बिरालि कन्द birali
> kanda<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/nepali/birali-kanda-birali-kanda>•
> *Oriya*: କଟକା
> kataka<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/oriya/kataka-kataka>•
> *Punjabi*: ਸਿਆਲੀ
> siali<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/punjabi/si-ali-siali>,
> ਸੁਰਾਲਾ
> surala<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/punjabi/surala-surala>•
> *Sanskrit*: भूमिकुष्माण्ड
> bhumikusmanda<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/sanskrit/bhumikusmanda-bhumikusmanda>,
> गजवाजिप्रिया
> gajavajipriya<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/sanskrit/gajavajipriya-gajavajipriya>,
> इक्षुगन्धा
> iksu-gandha<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/sanskrit/iksugandha-iksu-gandha>,
> कन्दपलाश
> kandapalash<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/sanskrit/kandapalasa-kandapalash>,
> स्वादुकन्दा
> svadukanda<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/sanskrit/svadukanda-svadukanda>,
> विदारी
> vidari<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/sanskrit/vidari-vidari>•
> *Tamil*: கரிக்கும்மடி
> karikkummati<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/tamil/karikkum-mati-karikkummati>,
> நிலப்பூசனி
> nila-p-pucani<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/tamil/nilappucani-nila-p-pucani>•
> *Telugu*: దారి గుమ్మడి dari
> gummadi<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/telugu/dari-gum-madi-dari-gummadi>,
> నేల గుమ్మడి nela
> gummadi<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/telugu/nela-gum-madi-nela-gummadi>
>

> *botanical names*: *Pueraria tuberosa* (Roxb. ex Willd.) DC. ...
> *synonyms*:
> *Hedysarum tuberosum* Roxb. ex Willd. (basionym)
>

> ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
> Photographed at Bondla Wildlife Sanctuary, Goa on 19 FEB 12

Dinesh Valke

May 3, 2013, 11:46:18 AM5/3/13
to Donald Jones, efloraofindia, Tabish Qureshi
Dear Mr Donald,
Thank you very much for pointing out to this confusion of M. N. and M. W. Puerari

To my belief it must be Marc Nicolas Puerari (1765 – 1845), Swiss botanist & professor, who taught at the University of Copenhagen in Denmark, and left his herbarium to a younger compatriot, Alphonse Louis Pierre Pyrame de Candolle (1806-1893) ...other than Dave's Botanary, we find it mentioned in Calflora  • American Journal of BotanyFlora of Australia OnlinePlant Lives (PDF) • Forest Invasive Plants Resource Center (PDF).

Swiss botanist M. W. Puerari (1766 – 1845) ... does appear in few results; but no details are found.
If someone helps what the initials M. W.
stand for - the search may become interesting.

Regards.
Dinesh

Vijayasankar

May 3, 2013, 12:11:47 PM5/3/13
to Dinesh Valke, Donald Jones, efloraofindia, Tabish Qureshi
I think both the records point to the same author. A search for the name 'Puerari' yielded a single record in IPNI and JSTOR as well.

Marc Nicolas Puerari 1766-1845

So the other entry may be an orthographis error.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Dinesh Valke

May 3, 2013, 12:29:27 PM5/3/13
to Vijayasankar, Donald Jones, efloraofindia, Tabish Qureshi
Thank you very very much Vijayasankar ji. Great help.
Regards.
Dinesh

Donald Jones

May 4, 2013, 1:02:21 AM5/4/13
to Dinesh Valke, Vijayasankar, efloraofindia, Tabish Qureshi
Dear Mr. Valke, Mr. Raman,

Much appreciate your help in confirming the initials to be M. N.
Puerari. I thought perhaps there were two different scientists called
Puerari but it looks like M. W. is a mistake.

Thank you, Donald

On 5/3/13, Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you very very much Vijayasankar ji. Great help.
> Regards.
> Dinesh
>

> On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 9:41 PM, Vijayasankar
> <vijay.b...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I think both the records point to the same author. A search for the name
>> 'Puerari' yielded a single record in IPNI
>> <http://www.ipni.org/ipni/advAuthorSearch.do;jsessionid=3F00DEE7E7932926987F3989F322EF72?find_forename=&find_surname=Puerari&find_abbreviation=&find_isoCountry=&output_format=normal&back_page=authorsearch&query_type=by_query>and
>> JSTOR
>> <http://plants.jstor.org/search?qtype=people&query=PUERARI&x=0&y=0>as
>> well.
>>
>> Marc Nicolas Puerari 176*6*-1845
>>
>> So the other entry may be an orthographis error.
>>

>> Regards
>>
>> Vijayasankar Raman
>> National Center for Natural Products Research
>> University of Mississippi
>>

>> On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 10:46 AM, Dinesh Valke
>> <dinesh...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Mr Donald,
>>> Thank you very much for pointing out to this confusion of *M. N.* and
>>> *M.
>>> W.* Puerari
>>>
>>> To my belief it must be *M*arc *N*icolas Puerari (1765 – 1845), Swiss
>>> botanist & professor, who taught at the University of Copenhagen in
>>> Denmark, and left his herbarium to a younger compatriot, Alphonse Louis
>>> Pierre Pyrame de Candolle (1806-1893) ...other than Dave's
>>> Botanary<http://davesgarden.com/guides/botanary/search.php?search_text=Pueraria>,
>>> we find it mentioned in
>>> Calflora<http://www.calflora.net/southafrica/1P-S.html>
>>> • American Journal of
>>> Botany<http://www.amjbot.org/content/97/12/1982.full>• Flora
>>> of Australia
>>> Online<http://www.anbg.gov.au/abrs/online-resources/flora/stddisplay.xsql?pnid=52649>•
>>> Plant
>>> Lives <http://www.plantlives.com/docs/P/Pueraria.pdf> (PDF) • Forest
>>> Invasive Plants Resource
>>> Center<http://na.fs.fed.us/spfo/invasiveplants/factsheets/pdf/kudzu.pdf>(PDF).
>>>
>>> Swiss botanist M. *W*. Puerari (176*6* – 1845) ... does appear in few

Dinesh Valke

May 26, 2024, 5:11:21 AMMay 26
to eFloraofIndia

Dinesh Valke

May 26, 2024, 5:16:08 AMMay 26
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Pueraria tuberosa (Roxb. ex Willd.) DC.

Pueraria tuberosa (Roxb. ex Willd.) DC.

pew-er-RAY-ree-uh -- named for Marc Nicolas Puerari, Swiss botanist ... Dave's Botanary
too-ber-OH-suh or tew-ber-OH-suh -- tuberous ... Dave's Botanary

commonly known as: Indian kudzu, Nepalese kudzu • Bengali: শিমিআ বাতরাজী shimia batraji • Dogri: बदाड़ badaad, बिद्द bidd, सेयाली seyali • Gujarati: ભોંયકોળું bhonyakolum, ખાખરવેલ khakhar-vel, ફગડાનો વેલો phagadano velo, ફગીયો phagiyo, વિદારીકંદ vidarikanda • Hindi: बनकुमड़ा bankumara, बिलाई कन्द bilayi kand, सुराल sural, विदारीकन्द vidarikand • Kannada: ಭೂ ಸಕ್ಕರೆ ಗಡ್ಡೆ bhoo sakkare gadde, ಗುಮಡಿ ಗಿಡ gumadi gida • Konkani: बिरमोलो birmolo • Kumaoni: बिरालु biralu, बिसालु bisalu, सिराल sirala • Malayalam: മുതുക്ക് muthukku • Marathi: बेंदरवेल bendarvel, भरडा bharada, भुईकोहळा bhuikohala, दारी dari, घोडवेल ghodvel, विदारी vidari • Mishing: ভূই কোমোৰা bhuin komora • Mizo: bul-ei, thing-ba, zawng-tur • Nepali: बिरालि कन्द birali kanda, देब्रे लारा debre laaraa • Odia: କଟକା kataka • Punjabi: ਸਿਆਲੀ siali, ਸੁਰਾਲਾ surala • Sanskrit: भूमिकुष्माण्ड bhumikusmanda, गजवाजिप्रिया gajavajipriya, इक्षुगन्धा iksu-gandha, कन्दपलाश kandapalash, स्वादुकन्दा svadukanda, विदारी vidari • Santali: ᱡᱟᱝ ᱛᱤᱨᱲᱟᱹ jang tirda, ᱯᱟᱛᱟᱞ ᱠᱚᱦᱚᱱᱰᱟ patal kohonda, ᱴᱤᱨᱨᱲᱟᱹ ᱪᱟ tirrda ca • Tamil: கரிக்கும்மடி karikkummati, நிலப்பூசனி nila-p-pucani • Telugu: దారి గుమ్మడి dari gummadi, కుబాయ తీగ kubaaya thige, నేల గుమ్మడి nela gummadi, విదారి కంద vidhaari kanda • Urdu: بلائي کند bilayi kand

botanical names: Pueraria tuberosa (Roxb. ex Willd.) DC. ... homotypic synonyms: Desmodium tuberosum (Roxb. ex Willd.) G.Don • Hedysarum tuberosum Roxb. ex Willd. ... POWO, retrieved 25 May 2024
Bibliography / etymology
Links listed as references in the notes below, may not remain valid permanently. Portals / websites have a tendency to re-organize / revise their content, leading to change in URLs of pages in their site. Some sites may even close down at their own will.
~~~~~ ENGLISH ~~~~~
written and spoken widely, in most parts of India
Indian kudzu, Nepalese kudzu
~~~~~ BENGALI ~~~~~
written in: Bengali (বাংলা) ... spoken in: West Bengal, Assam, Jharkhand, Tripura, Andaman & Nicobar Islands
শিমিআ বাতরাজী shimia batraji
~~~~~ DOGRI ~~~~~
written in: Devanagari (डोगरी) ... spoken in: Jammu & Kashmir ... spoken by the Dogras
बदाड़ badaad, बिद्द bidd, सेयाली seyali
  • Many thanks to OM Prakash Vidyarthi for help with this name ... facebook
~~~~~ GUJARATI ~~~~~
written in: Gujarati (ગુજરાતી) ... spoken in: Gujarat, Dadra & Nagar Haveli, Daman & Diu
ભોંયકોળું bhonyakolum
ખાખરવેલ khakhar-vel
  • Many thanks to Viplav Gangar for help with this name ... efloraofindia ... ખાખરવેલ khakhar-vel suggestive of its trifoliate leaves akin to ખાખરો khakhro [Butea monosperma (Lam.) Kuntze]
ફગડાનો વેલો phagadano velo
  • Many thanks to Viplav Gangar for help with this name ... efloraofindia ... ફગડાનો વેલો phagadano velo, since the new leaves emerge in the month of ફાગણ phagan
ફગીયો phagiyo
વિદારીકંદ vidarikanda
~~~~~ HINDI ~~~~~
written in: Devanagari (हिन्दी) ... spoken in: Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan
बनकुमड़ा bankumara
बिलाई कन्द bilayi kand
सुराल sural
विदारीकन्द vidarikand
~~~~~ KANNADA ~~~~~
written in: Kannada (ಕನ್ನಡ) ... spoken in: Karnataka
ಭೂ ಸಕ್ಕರೆ ಗಡ್ಡೆ bhoo sakkare gadde
ಗುಮಡಿ ಗಿಡ gumadi gida
~~~~~ KONKANI ~~~~~
written in: Devanagari (कोंकणी), Kannada (ಕೊಂಕಣಿ), Malayalam (കൊങ്കണി), Perso-Arabic (کونکنی), Romi (Konknni) ... spoken in: Goa, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Kerala, Gujarat
बिरमोलो birmolo
~~~~~ KUMAONI ~~~~~
written in: Devanagari ... spoken in: Uttarakhand
बिरालु biralu, सिराल sirala
बिसालु bisalu
~~~~~ MALAYALAM ~~~~~
written in: Malayalam (മലയാളം) ... spoken in: Kerala, Lakshadweep
മുതുക്ക് muthukku
~~~~~ MARATHI ~~~~~
written in: Devanagari (मराठी) ... spoken in: Maharashtra, Karnataka
बेंदरवेल bendarvel
भरडा bharda
भुईकोहळा bhuikohala
दारी dari
घोडवेल ghodvel
  • मराठी विश्वकोश - महाराष्ट्र राज्य मराठी विश्वकोश निर्मिती मंडळ ... this plant is given as fodder to horses and foals ... घोड्यांना व शिंगरांनाही खाऊ घालतात ... hence the name घोडवेल ghodvel ... घोड ghod = pertaining to horse; vel वेल = climber, creeper
विदारी vidari
~~~~~ MISHING ~~~~~
written in: Assamese, Devanagari, Latin ... spoken in: Assam ... other names for this language: Mising, Plains Miri
ভূই কোমোৰা bhuin komora
~~~~~ MIZO ~~~~~
written in: Latin, Bengali-Assamese ... spoken in: Mizoram ... other names for this language: Lushai, Duhlian
bul-ei, thing-ba, zawng-tur
~~~~~ NEPALI ~~~~~
written in: Devanagari (नेपाली) ... spoken in: Nepal, West Bengal, Assam, Sikkim
बिरालि कन्द birali kand
देब्रे लारा debre laaraa
~~~~~ ODIA ~~~~~
written in: Odia (ଓଡ଼ିଆ) ... spoken in: Odisha, Andaman & Nicobar Islands
କଟକା kataka
~~~~~ PUNJABI ~~~~~
written in: Gurmukhi (ਪੰਜਾਬੀ) ... spoken in: Punjab
ਸਿਆਲੀ siali, ਸੁਰਾਲਾ surala
~~~~~ SANSKRIT ~~~~~
written in: Devanagari (संस्कृतम्) ... used all over India by priests and scholars
भूमिकुष्माण्ड bhumikusmanda, गजवाजिप्रिया gajavajipriya, इक्षुगन्धा iksu-gandha, कन्दपलाश kandapalash, स्वादुकन्दा svadukanda, विदारी vidari
~~~~~ SANTALI ~~~~~
written in: Ol Chiki (ᱥᱟᱱᱛᱟᱲᱤ), Bengali (সাঁওতালী), Odia (ସାନ୍ତାଳୀ), Devanagari (सान्ताली), Roman ... spoken in: Jharkhand, West Bengal, Odisha
ᱡᱟᱝ ᱛᱤᱨᱲᱟᱹ jang tirda, ᱯᱟᱛᱟᱞ ᱠᱚᱦᱚᱱᱰᱟ patal kohonda, ᱴᱤᱨᱨᱲᱟᱹ ᱪᱟ tirrda ca
~~~~~ TAMIL ~~~~~
written in: Tamil (தமிழ்) ... spoken in: Tamil Nadu, Puducherry, Andaman & Nicobar Islands
கரிக்கும்மடி karikkummati, நிலப்பூசனி nila-p-pucani
~~~~~ TELUGU ~~~~~
written in: Telugu ( తెలుగు) ... spoken in: Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Puducherry
దారి గుమ్మడి dari gummadi
కుబాయ తీగ kubaaya thige, విదారి కంద vidhaari kanda
నేల గుమ్మడి nela gummadi
~~~~~ URDU ~~~~~
written in: Urdu (اردو) ... spoken in: Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Karnataka
بلائي کند bilayi kand
~~~~~ DISTRIBUTION in INDIA ~~~~~
widespread
~~~~~ Last updated: 14:24 26-05-2024 ~~~~~
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "eFloraofIndia" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/indiantreepix/d5e234b4-6932-41bf-aeab-adba0ad0ddc6n%40googlegroups.com.

Sam Kuzhalanattu

May 26, 2024, 11:25:35 AMMay 26
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dear Dinesh ji,
Vibrant picture and excellent work.
Both Malayalam and English spellings are correct, regards, Sam.