Scaveola sericea

rashida atthar

Feb 21, 2010, 9:43:10 AM2/21/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com

This mangrove associate was seen flowering and fruiting (white) today at Sagar upvan (BPT gardens), Mumbai. I have  gone through the discussions on this plant  in our database.

What I found I should inform here  is a new combination of valid name suggested by Dr. Almeida along  with the explanation in Flora of Mah.,2001, Vol III(A) pg:150 as  Scaevola salutari (Lour.)Almeida

I quote from the volume last para on pg 151: "Roxburgh (1814) has not mentioned Gaertner's basinym but directly cited " Belamodagam" of Rheede. Roxburgh's name therefore has to be considered as a new name under Article 33.1 of ICBN. Roxburgh's name is homotypic synonym of Gaertner's Lobellia taccada  but when first validly published it is not based on L. taccada and therefore has to be considered as a new name beginning from 1814 and not a new combination on Gaertner's name . Example2 in 1983 edition of ICBN explains this point. However, in flora Indica (1820), Roxburgh cited Lobellia taccada Gaertn. It appears that Cerbera salutaria  Lour (1790), is the earliest valid name at present available for combination under Scaevola. Therefore a new combination has been proposed."

It seems the new name is not accepted, will be grateful for experts inputs.

regards,
Rashida.

Scaveola sericea-fanflowers.JPG
Scaveola sericea foliage flowers.JPG
Scaveola sericea budding to fruiting.JPG
Scaveola sericea fruit.JPG
Scaveola sericea fruits.JPG
Scaveola sericea seed.JPG
Scaveola sericea plant.JPG

rashida atthar

Feb 21, 2010, 9:50:57 AM2/21/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Apologies for the spelling error. It should read Scaevola sericea.

regards,
Rashida.

From: rashid...@hotmail.com
To: indian...@googlegroups.com
Subject: Scaveola sericea
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 14:43:10 +0000

J.M. Garg

Mar 11, 2010, 5:52:41 AM3/11/10
to efloraofindia, rashida atthar, Gurcharan Singh, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, satish pardeshi, Dr. Santhosh Kumar

Forwarding again for any assistance in the matter please:

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

Scaveola sericea-fanflowers.JPG
Scaveola sericea foliage flowers.JPG
Scaveola sericea budding to fruiting.JPG
Scaveola sericea fruit.JPG
Scaveola sericea fruits.JPG
Scaveola sericea seed.JPG
Scaveola sericea plant.JPG

J.M. Garg

Mar 26, 2010, 1:27:24 AM3/26/10
to efloraofindia, rashida atthar, Vijayasankar Raman, Swapna Prabhu, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Gurcharan Singh, satish pardeshi