Custard apple

Shantanu Bhattacharya

Oct 6, 2010, 3:32:23 PM10/6/10
to efloraofindia
Hi
sharing pic of Custard apple in the tree

regards.........
Shantanu :)
custard apple.jpg

Pankaj Oudhia

Oct 6, 2010, 3:39:17 PM10/6/10
to efloraofindia
Let it matured, till then you can use leaves in form of decoction  to keep your hair growth in good pace. But protect your eyes while using it. Later seeds can also be used for same purpose. Leaf decoction can also be used to manage Garden Pest in ecofriendly way. But don't collect much leaves. It will reduce the size of fruits.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Shantanu

Oct 6, 2010, 3:52:07 PM10/6/10
to efloraofindia
Thanks a lot for the info on uses of this plant

Shantanu : )

On Oct 7, 12:39 am, Pankaj Oudhia <pankajoud...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Let it matured, till then you can use leaves in form of decoction  to keep
> your hair growth in good pace. But protect your eyes while using it. Later
> seeds can also be used for same purpose. Leaf decoction can also be used to
> manage Garden Pest in ecofriendly way. But don't collect much leaves. It
> will reduce the size of fruits.
>
> regards
>
> Pankaj Oudhia
>
> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 1:02 AM, Shantanu Bhattacharya <shnt...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Hi
> > sharing pic of Custard apple in the tree
>
> > regards.........
> > Shantanu :)- Hide quoted text -

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 6, 2010, 6:58:32 PM10/6/10
to Shantanu, efloraofindia
Pankaj ji
You always have some useful information about plants. It is interesting to know other aspects of a plant.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

tanay bose

Oct 6, 2010, 7:20:27 PM10/6/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Shantanu, efloraofindia
This something I like
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

mani nair

Oct 7, 2010, 1:25:34 AM10/7/10
to tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, Shantanu, efloraofindia
Pankaj ji, many thanks for this useful information.  I had a small tree with flowers growing in a pot in my balcony.  But I don't know the reason, the flowers did not become fruit only.  What could be the reason for the flower fall?  Is it because of the pot size?  Pease help.

Regards,

Mani.

Pankaj Oudhia

Oct 7, 2010, 1:58:38 AM10/7/10
to efloraofindia
Mani ji,

There are many reasons for flower fall. You can try CCC or Cycocel available in market during flowering. Cotton growers use it. I have tried it in Mango, Citrus and Guava successfully.

Please give less water to this species as in Nature it grows in stressed conditions. No one cares it and in turn it gives good sized fruits. If you provide much care you will get much leaves and less fruits. In Central India people avoid planting this home due to myths (including) that it is a plant that grows in Graveyard. It is true but it is not only the plant that grows there.

And one last thing, if any one gets cold and cough during slight change in weather then one must avoid using Seetaphal in any form.

Our Healers grow it in special way. They irrigate it with herbal extracts and leachate in order to enrich it with desired medicinal properties.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

mani nair

Oct 7, 2010, 2:25:35 AM10/7/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Pankaj ji, thank you very much.Yes I think I put too much water.  Now the plant is no more with me.   Yes yesterday I ate two big custard apples and I think I got cough because of this.   The fruit name also I think Sheet phal meaning cold fruit.

Regards,

Mani.

Pankaj Oudhia

Oct 7, 2010, 2:30:21 AM10/7/10
to efloraofindia
We put too much water because we love the plants. Many residents complaint that Rose is not flowering whereas it was full of flowers when in nursery. The reason is our love i.e. too much watering. Stress in nature forces most of the plants to flower.

Seetaphal root decoction can cure the cold and cough generated by its fruits but use it under supervision of experts.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Shantanu Bhattacharya

Oct 7, 2010, 2:42:15 AM10/7/10
to tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Yes Tanay...is also one of my favourite fruits.
I have a special taste for the recipe called Aatar Paayesh...made from ripe custard apples.
(Custard apple is called Aataa in Bengali), This recipe is really creamy and delicious.

cheers!
Shantanu

Pankaj Oudhia

Oct 7, 2010, 2:46:24 AM10/7/10
to efloraofindia
Is it some type of Kheer?

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Shantanu

Oct 7, 2010, 3:01:20 AM10/7/10
to efloraofindia
No Pankaj ji...its not exactly Kheer. The thick cream, obtained by
smashing the ripe sweet custard apples and separating the seeds, is
boiled with milk, ghee and sugar.
Then the mixture is allowed to cool, and garnished with raisins and
cherries.
and u get the lip smacking Aatar Paayesh

I asked the method from my mom just now.

Regards
Shantanu :)

On Oct 7, 11:46 am, Pankaj Oudhia <pankajoud...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it some type of Kheer?
>
> regards
>
> Pankaj Oudhia
>
> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 12:12 PM, Shantanu Bhattacharya <shnt...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Yes Tanay...is also one of my favourite fruits.
> > I have a special taste for the recipe called Aatar Paayesh...made from ripe
> > custard apples.
> > (Custard apple is called Aataa in Bengali), This recipe is really creamy
> > and delicious.
>
> > cheers!
> > Shantanu
>
> > On 10/7/10, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> This something I like
> >> Tanay

> >> --
> >> *Tanay Bose*
> >> Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant.
> >> Department of Botany.
> >> University of British Columbia .
> >> 3529-6270 University Blvd.
> >> Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4 (Canada)
> >> Phone: 778-323-4036 (Mobile)
> >>             604-822-2019 (Lab)
> >> ta...@interchange.ubc.ca- Hide quoted text -

Dinesh Valke

Oct 7, 2010, 3:06:42 AM10/7/10
to Shantanu, efloraofindia
oh my God !! ... all those who are fond of sita phal (me first) are going to have a tough time until we have a large quota of this delicious potion !!!
Thanks for this recipe, Shantanu ji.

Regards.

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 7, 2010, 3:08:49 AM10/7/10
to Dinesh Valke, Shantanu, efloraofindia
u all are my enemies....I live in hostel, havent been home for past 4
years and you guys are talking about good food here :((
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Pankaj Oudhia

Oct 7, 2010, 3:12:30 AM10/7/10
to efloraofindia
Please convey my regard to your Mom.

The word "Paayesh" reminded me Ancient Ayurveda preparation Mash Payas in which Roasted Urd (Black Gram) seeds are used to prepare Payas like Kheer.

If possible, please post a picture (at least) of this delicious dish.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

mani nair

Oct 7, 2010, 3:13:09 AM10/7/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Dinesh Valke, Shantanu, efloraofindia
Thanks Pankaj ji for the medincine for flower falling.  Thanks Shantanu ji for the recipe.  I will try this.

Regards,

Mani.

Madhuri Pejaver

Oct 7, 2010, 9:37:26 AM10/7/10
to Shantanu, efloraofindia
In Mumbai we get/do Sitaphal rabadi and Icecream too.
Delicious
Madhuri

Padmini Raghavan

Oct 12, 2010, 4:02:56 PM10/12/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Dear Mr. Pankaj,
Could you please tell me how the decoction is used to promote hair growth?
 I read somewhere that all parts of the plant contain some cyanide, esp the seeds, which was why it is used as a pesticide.  Is this true?
 Thanks,
Padmini Raghavan.