Asteraceae for ID : Golden Gate Park, San Francisco : 11SEP21 : AK - 012

Aarti S. Khale

Sep 11, 2021, 2:07:44 AM9/11/21
to efloraofindia
While going through my California plants, I found some I had missed earlier.
Leaves are close to Gerbera.
Please advice.
Aarti
P1280932.JPG
P1280931.JPG

J.M. Garg

Sep 14, 2021, 7:49:48 AM9/14/21
to efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale

With regards,
J.M.Garg
P1280932.JPG
P1280931.JPG

J.M. Garg

Sep 14, 2021, 10:10:40 AM9/14/21
to Alastair Culham, efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale
Thanks, Alastair ji

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

On Tue, 14 Sep, 2021, 7:33 pm Alastair Culham, <a.cu...@reading.ac.uk> wrote:

My best guess is Arctotis arctotoides which is in cultivation in the USA (see www.calflora.net/southafrica/arctotis_arctotoides.html).  It is also similar to Gerbera and Gazania and I am not 100% confident of my identification.

Kind regards,

Alastair

Aarti S. Khale

Sep 14, 2021, 10:59:48 AM9/14/21
to Alastair Culham, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thanks a lot Alastair Ji.
Your guess seems to be correct as per the link below since the flowers and leaves are both matching.

Regards,
Aarti

On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 7:33 PM Alastair Culham <a.cu...@reading.ac.uk> wrote:

My best guess is Arctotis arctotoides which is in cultivation in the USA (see www.calflora.net/southafrica/arctotis_arctotoides.html).  It is also similar to Gerbera and Gazania and I am not 100% confident of my identification.

Kind regards,

Alastair

Sep 18, 2021, 12:07:32 PM9/18/21
to Aarti S. Khale, Alastair Culham, efloraofindia
Pl. also consider Arctotheca prostrata as per images and details herein.
To me appears close.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Aarti S. Khale

Sep 18, 2021, 12:39:02 PM9/18/21
to J.M. Garg, Alastair Culham, efloraofindia
Garg Ji,
Alastair Ji's suggestion of Arctotis arctotoides looks closer to me.
Did you check the link I had sent?
Regards,
Aarti

J.M. Garg

Sep 18, 2021, 12:47:53 PM9/18/21
to Aarti S. Khale, Alastair Culham, efloraofindia
Yes, I checked it. Looked a bit different.

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

Aarti S. Khale

Sep 18, 2021, 1:09:26 PM9/18/21
to J.M. Garg, Alastair Culham, efloraofindia
Garg Ji,
Not the first image, the subsequent ones.

J.M. Garg

Sep 19, 2021, 5:39:50 AM9/19/21
to Alastair Culham, aarti...@gmail.com, efloraofindia
Thanks a lot, Alastair ji

On Sun, 19 Sept 2021 at 14:16, Alastair Culham <a.cu...@reading.ac.uk> wrote:

Arctotis and Arctotheca are quite similar.  The paper by McKenzie et al. 2011 (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0254629910001493) is quite useful for distinguishing features:

Table 1. Comparison of selected morphological characters in Arctotis sect. Anomalae with other sections of Arctotis and Arctotheca.

Character

Arctotheca

Arctotis sect. Anomalae

Arctotis (other sections)

Ray floret fertility

Neuter

Neuter or female

Female

Central disc floret fertility

Hermaphrodite

Hermaphrodite

Functionally male or sterile

Floral scent

Present (absent in A. populifolia)

Present

Absent

Disc floret corolla lobe elaboration

Tuberculate

Tuberculate or applanate

Applanate

Disc floret style thickening base

Truncate

Truncate

Attenuate

Filament ornamentation

Papillose

Papillose

Smooth

Maximum pappus scale length

Always shorter than achene

Usually longer than achene

Shorter or longer than achene

Achene—adaxial ribs

Longitudinal ridges

Weakly developed into wings

Longitudinal ridges (well-developed wings in A. breviscapa)

Achene—abaxial ribs

Longitudinal ridges

Two well-developed wings

Two or three well-developed wings

However, I ‘m not convinced I could see any of these with confidence in the photos so I am not 100% sure.  Both are possible.

Kind regards,

Alastair

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Aarti S. Khale

Sep 19, 2021, 9:13:31 AM9/19/21
to Alastair Culham, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thanks Alastair Ji.
Regards,
Aarti