Bauhinia foveolata -- Chamoli.

rashida atthar

Oct 25, 2009, 7:05:31 AM10/25/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com

This pleasantly fragant flowered Bauhinia with suborbicular leaves, about as broad as long, was seen flowering today a the national park in Mumbai.

regards,
Rashida.

Bauhinia foveolata full tree .JPG
Bauhinia foveolata flowers .JPG
Bauhinia foveolata flowers2.JPG
Bauhinia foveolata pods flowers.jpg
Bauhinai foveolata bark.JPG

Dinesh Valke

Oct 25, 2009, 7:25:22 AM10/25/09
to rashida atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
... are there separate trees for this species, bearing male and female flowers ?
If so, Rashida ji may have got the female flowered tree.

Allow me to attach a photo of what I consider as B. foveolata, and could be the male-flowered.

Please correct me.
Regards.
3088776689_1a7215ab27_b.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Oct 25, 2009, 7:38:16 AM10/25/09
to rashida atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
... on second thoughts, would Rashida ji's tree be female flowered Bauhinia thonningii (syn. Piliostigma thonningii) ?
Again, please allow me to attach one photo carrying B. thonningii (suppossedly male flower).
1462965634_4a1865e74d_b.jpg

Rajesh Sachdev

Oct 25, 2009, 7:48:28 AM10/25/09
to indiantreepix
Hi Rashida, is there some errata in Shrikant's book , page no.: 234, where the pi of the said flower i not matching with the attached pic by yours.

2009/10/25 rashida atthar <rashid...@hotmail.com>

--
Regards
Rajesh Sachdev

rashida atthar

Oct 25, 2009, 8:11:20 AM10/25/09
to leopa...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com

There is no errata. FFOS has male flowers, My pics have female flowers. Details are in Flora of Mah. Vol II.

regards,

Rashida.

Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 17:18:28 +0530
Subject: [indiantreepix:21503] Re: Bauhinia foveolata -- Chamoli.
From: leopa...@gmail.com
To: indian...@googlegroups.com

Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Oct 25, 2009, 9:28:42 AM10/25/09
to indiantreepix
It is obvious that Ms. Rashida's flowers are female as it is the
gynoecium which is on the pic and Dinesh sir's are male as we can see
the anthers, only thing is the identification. WHO IS RIGHT?
Pankaj

Neil Soares

Oct 25, 2009, 2:07:45 PM10/25/09
to indiantreepix, Dr. Pankaj Kumar
Hi,
  Have 2 trees of Chamoli [Bauhinia foveolata] with flower buds at my farm. They don't look like the tree in Rashida's photographs. Sending a few of my photographs.
                   With regards,
                     Neil Soares.

--- On Sun, 10/25/09, Dr. Pankaj Kumar <sahani...@gmail.com> wrote:
Chamoli [Bauhinia foveolata] 1.jpg
Chamoli [Bauhinia foveolata] 2.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Oct 25, 2009, 4:12:39 PM10/25/09
to Neil Soares, indiantreepix, Dr. Pankaj Kumar
... comparing leaves of B. foveolata and B. thonningii with Rashida ji's tree, I would rather believe she is correct with her ID.
-- female flowered B. foveolata.

Regards.