Submission of Cynodon barberi - YS Apr/2020-04

Yogesh Sharma

Apr 7, 2020, 8:54:16 AM4/7/20
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Respected members,

This grass is a species of genus Cynodon Rich. looking different from Cynodon dactylon (L.) Pers. in its overall size.
According to a book, named 'Grasses of Punjab & Chandigarh' by P.K. Khosla, this sp. perfectly matches with Cynodon barberi Rang. & Tadul. So, firstly I did identify it as C. barberi. But than I checked Grassbase and POWO. Grassbase did not show any description for C. barberi but POWO had a description, being showed according to Grassbase, in which the size of spikes in inflorescence was not matching. So experts please help to resolve this confusion.
I'm quite convinced by the key and description given in above stated book but confusion arose because of the description on POWO, which could be a mistake, I think !

Key:-

1a. Lemmas more or less equal to upper glumes, hairs on lemmas clavellate.................C. barberi
1b. Lemmas longer than upper glumes, hairs on lemmas not-clavellate........................C. dactylon

Date of Photo - 10th August, 2019
Place - Rewari, Haryana.

Regards,
Yogesh Sharma
Cynodon barberi (2).jpg
Cynodon barberi (5).JPG
Cynodon barberi .jpg
Cynodon barberi 6.jpg
Cynodon barberi.JPG

Nidhan Singh

Apr 7, 2020, 9:18:28 AM4/7/20
to indiantreepix
Nice submission Yogesh, keep it up..
Wait for the experts....!!

On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 6:24 PM Yogesh Sharma <yogesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
Respected members,

This grass is a species of genus Cynodon Rich. looking different from Cynodon dactylon (L.) Pers. in its overall size.
According to a book, named 'Grasses of Punjab & Chandigarh' by P.K. Khosla, this sp. perfectly matches with Cynodon barberi Rang. & Tadul. So, firstly I did identify it as C. barberi. But than I checked Grassbase and POWO. Grassbase did not show any description for C. barberi but POWO had a description, being showed according to Grassbase, in which the size of spikes in inflorescence was not matching. So experts please help to resolve this confusion.
I'm quite convinced by the key and description given in above stated book but confusion arose because of the description on POWO, which could be a mistake, I think !

Date of Photo - 08th August, 2019
Place - Rewari, Haryana.

Regards,
Yogesh Sharma

Regards,

Dr. Nidhan Singh
Assistant Professor
Department of Botany
I.B. (PG) College
Panipat-132103 Haryana
Ph.: 09416371227

Yogesh Sharma

Apr 7, 2020, 9:40:52 AM4/7/20
to efloraofindia
Thankyou so much for appreciation sir..

On Tuesday, April 7, 2020 at 6:48:28 PM UTC+5:30, Nidhan Singh wrote:
[...]

Date of Photo - 08th August, 2019
Place - Rewari, Haryana.

Regards,
Yogesh Sharma

Yogesh Sharma

Apr 14, 2020, 2:53:46 AM4/14/20
to efloraofindia
Adding one more photograph for comparison.

Regards,
Yogesh Sharma
C.dactylon--C.barberi.png

J.M. Garg

Apr 15, 2020, 6:00:14 AM4/15/20
to efloraofindia, Yogesh Sharma
Thanks, Yogesh ji.

This grass is a species of genus Cynodon Rich. looking different from Cynodon dactylon (L.) Pers. in its overall size.
According to a book, named 'Grasses of Punjab & Chandigarh' by P.K. Khosla, this sp. perfectly matches with Cynodon barberi Rang. & Tadul. So, firstly I did identify it as C. barberi. But than I checked Grassbase and POWO. Grassbase did not show any description for C. barberi but POWO had a description, being showed according to Grassbase, in which the size of spikes in inflorescence was not matching. So experts please help to resolve this confusion.
I'm quite convinced by the key and description given in above stated book but confusion arose because of the description on POWO, which could be a mistake, I think !

Date of Photo - 08th August, 2019
Place - Rewari, Haryana.

Regards,
Yogesh Sharma

With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 3,000 members & 3,00,000 messages on 23.8.18) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 13,000 species & 3,00,000 images of which more than 2,50,000 images are directly displayed on 31.1.20).

Cynodon barberi (2).jpg
Cynodon barberi (5).JPG
Cynodon barberi .jpg
Cynodon barberi 6.jpg
Cynodon barberi.JPG

J.M. Garg

Apr 22, 2020, 11:54:44 PM4/22/20
to efloraofindia
Hi, Manoj ji,
Forwarding for validation pl.

This grass is a species of genus Cynodon Rich. looking different from Cynodon dactylon (L.) Pers. in its overall size.
According to a book, named 'Grasses of Punjab & Chandigarh' by P.K. Khosla, this sp. perfectly matches with Cynodon barberi Rang. & Tadul. So, firstly I did identify it as C. barberi. But than I checked Grassbase and POWO. Grassbase did not show any description for C. barberi but POWO had a description, being showed according to Grassbase, in which the size of spikes in inflorescence was not matching. So experts please help to resolve this confusion.
I'm quite convinced by the key and description given in above stated book but confusion arose because of the description on POWO, which could be a mistake, I think !

Date of Photo - 08th August, 2019
Place - Rewari, Haryana.

Regards,
Yogesh Sharma