AR 03, 2010

Anantanarayan Rajaram

Feb 26, 2010, 5:48:59 AM2/26/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com

For id please

Date/Time- 25th Feb., 8.00 AM

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS- Guntupalli, near Tedlam village and Chintalapudi town, W.Godavari Dt, AP

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type- Wild

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-  Tree

Height/Length-  15 ft

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size- shown

Inflorescence Type/ Size- not noticed

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts- not noticed

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds- shown; 10cm by 5 cm

Thanks very much

Rajaram

Gundupalli 1a.jpg
Gundupalli 1b.jpg

J.M. Garg

Mar 15, 2010, 6:38:03 AM3/15/10
to efloraofindia, Anantanarayan Rajaram, Devendra Bhardwaj, Gurcharan Singh, Muthu Karthick, Vijayasankar Raman

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

Gundupalli 1a.jpg
Gundupalli 1b.jpg

tanay bose

Mar 15, 2010, 9:11:14 AM3/15/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Anantanarayan Rajaram, Devendra Bhardwaj, Gurcharan Singh, Muthu Karthick, Vijayasankar Raman

Dear Anantanarayan ji,
I think this is bread fruit tree Artocarpus altilis (Parkinson) Fosberg.
Regards
Tanay
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 15, 2010, 9:16:29 AM3/15/10
to tanay bose, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Anantanarayan Rajaram, Devendra Bhardwaj, Muthu Karthick, Vijayasankar Raman
Dear Tanay
I think it can't be Artocarpus. It is a fruit with long style still attached at tip. Artocarpus has inflorescence developing into a composite fruit.
--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

tanay bose

Mar 15, 2010, 9:19:23 AM3/15/10
to Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Anantanarayan Rajaram, Devendra Bhardwaj, Muthu Karthick, Vijayasankar Raman
Dear Gurcharan Ji,
Hmm you are right Sir , Moraceae goes well i think !!!! can you give me a clue please.
Regards
tanay

R. Vijayasankar

Mar 15, 2010, 1:36:05 PM3/15/10
to tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Anantanarayan Rajaram, Devendra Bhardwaj, Muthu Karthick
Dear all, this plant is Pterospermum of Sterculiaceae. It could be either P. rubiginosum or P. reticulatum. We need to know the features of bracteoles to confirm the species id.
--
With regards

R. Vijayasankar
National Center for Natural Products Research,
The University of Mississippi,
Oxford, MS-38677, USA.

tanay bose

Mar 15, 2010, 3:16:36 PM3/15/10
to R. Vijayasankar, Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Anantanarayan Rajaram, Devendra Bhardwaj, Muthu Karthick
Thank you Vijay Ji for rectifying my error and updating my knowledge.
Tanay

Kenneth Greby

Mar 15, 2010, 5:41:12 PM3/15/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Anantanarayan Rajaram, Devendra Bhardwaj, Gurcharan Singh, Muthu Karthick, Vijayasankar Raman
Fruit looks similar to a tree that I've only seen pics of, not in person:

Hymenaea courbaril, West Indian locust.

Regards--
Ken Greby.

Mar 30, 2010, 5:54:26 AM3/30/10
to efloraofindia, TANAY BOSE, Kenneth Greby, Vijayasankar Raman, Anantanarayan Rajaram
Resurfacing again for ID

Earlier feedback:

Vijayasankar ji............Dear all, this plant is Pterospermum of Sterculiaceae. It could be either P. rubiginosum or P. reticulatum. We need to know the features of bracteoles to confirm the species id.

Kenneth.....................Fruit looks similar to a tree that I've only seen pics of, not in person: Hymenaea courbaril, West Indian locust.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

May 1, 2010, 5:02:10 AM5/1/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Anantanarayan Rajaram, Vijayasankar Raman, tanay bose, Kenneth Greby
Dear members
I have not seen these two species personally but what I gather from description in Brandis Indian Trees, the leaves of P. rubininosum (some even considering it synonym of P. semisagittatum) are smaller (1-3 inch), very oblique the upper half much larger than lower, flf solitary, capsule cylindrical, pentagonal. Here is image of P. semisagittatum.

In P. reticulatum, the leaves are larger, two halves not much different in size, flowers in clusters of 2-3, and fruit velvety.

The photograph above shows one smaller flower (or young fruit) at the base of larger fruit, showing that flowers are inclusters and fruit is velety.

I would thus go with P. reticulatum.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

JM Garg

Dec 30, 2017, 5:31:53 AM12/30/17
to efloraofindia, rajara...@yahoo.com, Lalithamba Avadhanam, Muthu Karthick, S Kasim .
Gundupalli 1a.jpg
Gundupalli 1b.jpg

Lalithamba Avadhanam

Dec 30, 2017, 7:43:58 AM12/30/17
to JM Garg, efloraofindia, rajara...@yahoo.com, Muthu Karthick, S Kasim .
It is Pterospermum xylocarpum - it is abundantly available in Eghats particularly in our area; flower white, fragrant, It is endemic to Peninsular India
thank you
regards
A.Lalithamba

J.M. Garg