[efloraofindia:35285] ID Balanophora sp.

Pravir Deshmukh

May 19, 2010, 3:45:17 AM5/19/10
to efloraofindia
Help for ID of Balanophora sp.

Recorded from Lahaul valley from Himachal

Date: 2 nd May 2010
--
Pravir Deshmukh
09717611977

DSC_0195.JPG
DSC_0628.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

May 19, 2010, 4:18:46 AM5/19/10
to Pravir Deshmukh, efloraofindia
Pravir ji
I think not Balanophora but rather fertile branches of a heteromorphic species of Equisetum, a pteridophyte.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Pardeshi S.

May 19, 2010, 4:48:54 AM5/19/10
to efloraofindia
Look like some Equisetum species

Regards
Satish pardeshi

On May 19, 1:18 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Pravir ji
> I think not Balanophora but rather fertile branches of a heteromorphic
> species of Equisetum, a pteridophyte.
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
>

> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 1:15 PM, Pravir Deshmukh <prav...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Help for ID of Balanophora sp.
>
> > Recorded from Lahaul valley from Himachal
>
> > Date: 2 nd May 2010
> > --
> > Pravir Deshmukh
> > 09717611977
>
> > --

Gurcharan Singh

May 19, 2010, 5:01:43 AM5/19/10
to Pardeshi S., efloraofindia
Pravir ji
arvense not arvensis

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Pravir

May 19, 2010, 5:23:10 AM5/19/10
to efloraofindia
Gurcharan Sir

The name of plant is Equisetum arvense L. as per the Catalog of Life:
2009 Annual Checklist.

On May 19, 2:01 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Pravir ji
> arvense not arvensis
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor

> > > --
> > groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix?hl=en.

Gurcharan Singh

May 19, 2010, 5:30:44 AM5/19/10
to Pravir, efloraofindia
Yes that is what I wrote
They go with genera

-um arvense
-is, -a, -us-, -pogon arvensis

tanay bose

May 19, 2010, 7:53:41 AM5/19/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Pravir, efloraofindia
Equisetum arvense Linnaeus, Sp. Pl. 2: 1061. 1753.

Field horsetail, common horsetail,

Aerial stems dimorphic; vegetative stems green, branched, 2--60(--100) cm; hollow center 1/3--2/3 stem diam. Sheaths squarish in face view, 2--5(--10) × 2--5(--9) mm; teeth dark, 4--14, narrow, 1--3.5 mm, often cohering in pairs. Branches in regular whorls, ascending, solid; ridges 3--4; valleys channeled; 1st internode of each branch longer than subtending stem sheath; sheath teeth attenuate. Fertile stems brown, lacking stomates, unbranched, shorter than vegetative stems, with larger sheaths, fleshy, ephemeral. 2 n =ca. 216.

Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)