Premna ? for ID (Verbenaceae)

M Sawmliana

Jun 4, 2014, 8:41:00 AM6/4/14
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Location : Lengpui, Mizoram. Altitude : ca. 400 m. Date : 04-06-2014. Habit : small to middle-sized tree. Heartwood durable, not eaten by termites, used for post. It grows wild.

Regards,
M Sawm Liana
Vawng-thla.JPG
Vawngthla .JPG

Ajit A

Jun 5, 2014, 3:07:34 AM6/5/14
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Looks like the medicinal plant Agnimandha (Premna integrifolia) to me.

Rgds
Ajit

J.M. Garg

Jun 12, 2014, 12:14:21 PM6/12/14
to efloraofindia, amp....@gmail.com, msawm...@gmail.com

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Looks like the medicinal plant Agnimandha (Premna integrifolia) to me.
Rgds
Ajit

efi page on  Premna serratifolia (syn. Premna integrifolia)

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2350 members & 1,90,000 messages on 31/5/14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 9500 species & 1,90,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

Vawng-thla.JPG
Vawngthla .JPG

J.M. Garg

Jun 12, 2014, 10:32:01 PM6/12/14
to efloraofindia, amp....@gmail.com, msawm...@gmail.com
A reply from an expert:
"I think this is Premna latifolia" from Dr. Jomy Augustine.

Thanks, Dr. Jomy.

J.M. Garg

Jun 12, 2014, 10:33:45 PM6/12/14
to efloraofindia, amp....@gmail.com, msawm...@gmail.com
A reply from an expert:
"following are the characters of Premna serrattifolia. Please check it. Photos looks like Premna serratifolia. collected from our places also.
Large shrubs or small trees, ca. 5.5 m high; branches obtusely 4-angular, pubescent, glabrous when mature, lenticellate; internodes 3.5-5.5 cm long; leaf-scars prominent. Leaves ovate-oblanceolate, elliptic-ovate to oblong, cuneate to obtuse at base, entire or faintly serrate crenate-serrate along margins. Obtuse 3-10 x 1.5-8.5 cm, short-acuminate at apex, subcoriaceous, fleshy when fresh, dark green on both surfaces, sometimes paler beneath, pubescent on nerves; lateral nerves 3-5 pairs, prominent; petioles ca. 2.5 cm long, stout. Corymbs 7.5-11 x 10-13 cm, terminal to main branches only, 3-5 cymes, pubescent; peduncles 2.0-6.5 cm long, obtusely 4-angular, pubescent; bracts ca. 2.5x0.5 mm lanceolate. Flowers foetid; pedicels ca. 0.4 mm long. Calyx ca. 3x2.5 mm, campanulate, bi-lipped, 5-lobed Corolla infundibular, bi-lipped, 4-lobed, cream-coloured, upper lip ca. 3x2 mm, suborbicular, obtuse, lower lip 3-lobed; corlla tube ca. 2x2 mm, cylindric, glabrous outside, densely villous at throat. Stamens 4, didynamous; filaments filiform, 2-3 mm long, exserted; anthers subglobose, ca. 0.5 mm across. Ovary ca. 0.4x0.4 mm, obovoid; style 3.5-4 mm long, slender; stigma bi-lobed; lobes equal. Drupes ca. 5x4 mm, obovoid or subglobose.
with best wishes
SUNILKUMAR.T ( SUNILKUMAR,MUHAMMA)
DEPARTMENT OF BOTANY
S.D COLLEGE, ALAPPUZHA.