Cleistanthus collinus

satish pardeshi

Aug 6, 2009, 2:13:09 AM8/6/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hello all

Cleistanthus collinus (Roxb.) Hook. f.Fl. Brit. India 5:274. 1887 (G. Bentham & J. D. Hooker, Gen. pl. 3:268. 1880, nom. inval.)
Synonym: Clutia collina Roxb. (basionym)
Family: Phyllanthaceae. Also placed in: Euphorbiaceae
Native: ASIA-TROPICAL
Indian Subcontinent: Bangladesh; India - Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Orissa, Tamil Nadu, West Bengal; Pakistan; Sri Lanka

I had seen exclusive forest of Cleistanthus collinus in Nagpur, Wardha, Bhandara, Chandrapur and Gondiya. Cleistanthus collinus is known for its ability to not allow other plants to grow under its canopy(see pic). The fruits are poisinous.

regards
Satish Pardeshi
Consultant Taxonomist
CDAC, Pune
Cleistanthus_collinus_Forest_Euphorbiaceae.JPG
Cleistanthus collinus_Euphorbiaceae.jpg
Cleistanthus collinus_Euphorbiaceae1.jpg
Cleistanthus_collinus_Euphorbiaceae.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Aug 6, 2009, 2:46:05 AM8/6/09
to satish pardeshi, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much, Satish ji, for sharing this info.
Regards.

Barry Stock

Aug 6, 2009, 8:52:44 AM8/6/09
to satish pardeshi, indian...@googlegroups.com
Remarkable photos and information, thanks.

Barry Stock
Hollywood, Florida, USA

<Cleistanthus_collinus_Forest_Euphorbiaceae.JPG><Cleistanthus collinus_Euphorbiaceae.jpg><Cleistanthus collinus_Euphorbiaceae1.jpg><Cleistanthus_collinus_Euphorbiaceae.jpg>

Hemanth

Aug 6, 2009, 9:19:51 AM8/6/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Dear All,

I have just shifted to Delhi for few months and have joined a Environment NGO here.

Being free on Saturdays and Sundays, I am very keen to explore/ photograph plants of Delhi.

I request Plant enthusiasts from Delhi (if any) on this group to kindly please let me know of their outings to me.

I am staying in Noida and can travel anywhere to participate in outings / programs related to botany, wildlife, environment.

I would also be interested to volunteer/ assist (free of cost ;) ) for college botany field trips or any work in the botany departments concerning to flora on Saturdays and Sundays.

My Delhi number is 98650048945 . Please give me a call in-case you are planning any trip sooner or later.

Eager to hear and can’t wait to explore plants once again.

Please reply,

hemant

J.M. Garg

Aug 6, 2009, 9:58:26 AM8/6/09
to satish pardeshi, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Satish ji.
Wonderful documentation & inf.!!!

2009/8/6 satish pardeshi <satishp...@gmail.com>
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

satish phadke

Aug 6, 2009, 10:07:33 AM8/6/09
to J.M. Garg, satish pardeshi, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Satish ji
Thanks for showing this uncommon plant.
Satish Phadke

2009/8/6 J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com>

--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com

J.M. Garg

Aug 6, 2009, 10:09:09 AM8/6/09
to Hemanth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Hemant ji.
I don't know of exclusive visits on Indian Flora in Delhi. But 'Delhibird' group is regularly going on field trips for Birding (which possibly have a few Flora enthusiasts also, who are member of Indiantreepix). You can join it by signing up at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/delhibird/ & get more details & keep in touch with there programmes.

There is a following message from Delhibird for this Sunday:
"Hi,

This Sunday we meet at the Temple at Okhla Bird Park at 5.45 am. Carry tea/coffee.

Regards,
Anshuman"

Pankaj Oudhia

Aug 6, 2009, 3:29:58 PM8/6/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Prashant awale

Aug 6, 2009, 11:37:15 PM8/6/09
to Pankaj Oudhia, indian...@googlegroups.com
I had come across this tree at "Pench reserve forest". Locals were calling it as "Garari".
I checked up with "Bhandara District Gazeetter" for garari ..

Have a look at following links..

http://www.maharashtra.gov.in/pdf/gazeetter_reprint/Bhandara/gen_botany.html#

http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Garari.html

best wishes