Fruits & Vegetables week - Phoenix dactylifera (Date palm)

mani nair

Jan 16, 2011, 1:42:49 AM1/16/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends,

Sending photos of date palm.

Name : Phoenix dactylifera
Common name of fruit :  Date  (English)   Khajur (Hindi)
Place  : Mount Abu, Rajasthan
Date   :  14.11.2010
Others :  Seen in arid areas of Gujerat and Rajasthan.
               Date fruit is considered as an ideal food containing most of the essential nutrients like pottassium.
              The flowers of the date palm are edible.  Seeds of date are ground and mixed in flour during the time of scarcity.
              Date palms are tapped for the sweet sap called Nira which is converted to palm jaggery.

Regards,

Mani.

khajur.jpg
date.jpg

tanay bose

Jan 16, 2011, 1:52:46 AM1/16/11
to mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Nice catch of Kajhur
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

mani nair

Jan 16, 2011, 8:56:29 AM1/16/11
to tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tanay ji for your appreciation. Sorry, I did not get any flowers or fruit photos of Khajur at Mount Abu   as it was not the fruiting season. However, I am sending photos of the Khajur and the dry Khajur.

Regards,

Mani.

DSC06558.JPG
DSC06560.JPG

tanay bose

Jan 16, 2011, 9:40:40 AM1/16/11
to mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Nice one nami ji I always like the red ones
tanay

mani nair

Jan 17, 2011, 6:15:26 AM1/17/11
to tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com
Here are some photos of the Khajur tree with fruits.

Place : Humayun's tomb, Delhi
Date  : June 2009

Regards,

Mani.