DV-21FEB10-0948

Dinesh Valke

Feb 25, 2010, 12:57:47 PM2/25/10
to efloraofindia
Dear friends, ID please.

Date/Time : February 21, 2010 at 9.48am IST ... with help of Windows explorer
Location Place : Yeoor Hills, part of Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Mumbai  ... Altitude : 111 m ... GPS : 19°14'31.29"N, 72°56'28.36"E ... Altitude and GPS with help of Google Earth.
Habitat : Wild ... Type : mixed deciduous forest
Plant Habit : large deciduous shrub ... Height : about 10 - 20 ft ... Length : - not applicable -
Leaves Type : do not know ... Shape : do not know ... Size : do not know
Inflorescence Type : cluster on nodes ... Size : 1.5 - 2 cm
Flowers Size : about 2 mm  ... Colour : green ... Calyx : do not know ... Bracts : do not know
Fruits Type : do not know ... Shape : do not know ... Size : do not know ... Seeds : do not know

Other Info :
Fragrance : not smelt ...  Pollinator : do not know ...  Uses : do not know

Regards.

P1150063.jpg
P1150055.jpg
P1150061.jpg

Hemanth

Feb 26, 2010, 8:41:45 AM2/26/10
to efloraofindia
leaf ka pic. bhejiye sir/

Hemant

On Feb 25, 10:57 pm, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear friends, ID please.
>
> *Date/Time* : February 21, 2010 at 9.48am IST ... with help of Windows
> explorer
> *Location Place* : Yeoor Hills, part of Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Mumbai
> ... *Altitude* : 111 m ... *GPS* : 19°14'31.29"N, 72°56'28.36"E ... Altitude

> and GPS with help of Google Earth.

> *Habitat* : Wild ... *Type* : mixed deciduous forest
> *Plant Habit* : large deciduous shrub ... *Height *: about 10 - 20 ft ... *
> Length* : - not applicable -
> *Leaves Type *: do not know ... *Shape* : do not know ... *Size* : do not
> know
> *Inflorescence Type* : cluster on nodes ... *Size* : 1.5 - 2 cm
> *Flowers Size* : about 2 mm  ... *Colour* : green ... *Calyx* : do not know...
> *Bracts* : do not know
> *Fruits Type* : do not know ... *Shape *: do not know ... *Size* : do not
> know ... *Seeds* : do not know
>
> *Other Info* :
> *Fragrance* : not smelt ...  *Pollinator* : do not know ...  *Uses* : do not
> know
>
> Regards.
>
>  P1150063.jpg
> 161KViewDownload
>
>  P1150055.jpg
> 56KViewDownload
>
>  P1150061.jpg
> 57KViewDownload

Dinesh Valke

Feb 26, 2010, 8:47:03 AM2/26/10
to Hemanth, efloraofindia
... dear Hemanth ... (can understand the difficulty in identification) ... the plant had no leaves during this (first) sighting.
Will certainly add to this post at a later season.

Regards.

Dinesh Valke

Feb 27, 2010, 1:49:35 AM2/27/10
to Hemanth, efloraofindia
Dear friends,

Received two responses, from:
1) Hemanth Tripathi ji : possibly Dillenia sp.
2) Sanal Nair ji: possibly Dillenia pentagyna.

Here is what I believe is D. pentagyna flower : http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/3360625458/
which is relatively larger, bright yellow in colour, long petiolate.

More comment(s) please.

Regards.

shrikant ingalhalikar

Feb 27, 2010, 6:56:47 AM2/27/10
to efloraofindia
Dineshji, Dillenia seems to have been given from the general
appearance in the foto. The flowers do not seem to be as small as 2 mm
as given by you. Could you recheck on the flower size and confirm that
it is not 2 cm? Regards, Shrikant

On Feb 25, 10:57 pm, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear friends, ID please.
>

> *Date/Time* : February 21, 2010 at 9.48am IST ... with help of Windows
> explorer

> *Location Place* : Yeoor Hills, part of Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Mumbai

> ... *Altitude* : 111 m ... *GPS* : 19°14'31.29"N, 72°56'28.36"E ... Altitude

> and GPS with help of Google Earth.

Dinesh Valke

Feb 27, 2010, 7:00:26 AM2/27/10
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Will respond with exact size on Monday, Shrikant ji.
Regards.

Dr Santhosh Kumar

Feb 27, 2010, 7:55:24 PM2/27/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
This appear to me as some species of Glochidion (Euphorbiaceae)

Santhosh

SANTHOSH
Dr. E.S. Santhosh Kumar
Tropical Botanic Garden and Research Institute, Palode
Thiruvananthapuram-695562
Kerala
India
www.drsanthosh.wetpaint.com

Dinesh Valke

Mar 1, 2010, 11:53:45 AM3/1/10
to Dr Santhosh Kumar, lexon, efloraofindia
Thank you, Santhosh ji.

... responding to Shrikant ji's query of flower-size: ... could not make it to Yeoor Hills as thought.
However, sure that it is just about 2 - 2.5 mm. My friend with me during the walk who had spotted the shrub, remembers it very well too.

Regards.

Prashant awale

Mar 1, 2010, 12:32:47 PM3/1/10
to Dinesh Valke, Dr Santhosh Kumar, lexon, efloraofindia
Dear Dinesh,
I too feel that Flower size does not seem to be  2 to 3 mm as mentioned by you. Secondly, the pedicles should be longer (2cm +) for Dillenia pentagyna where as in your case pedicles seems to be short.
How about Casearia sp.(??).
Thanks & best wishes
Prashant

Dinesh Valke

Mar 1, 2010, 12:40:01 PM3/1/10
to Prashant awale, Dr Santhosh Kumar, lexon, efloraofindia
... dear Prashant, you may have cracked the suspense !!
Regards.

Dinesh Valke

Mar 1, 2010, 10:23:24 PM3/1/10
to Prashant awale, Dr Santhosh Kumar, lexon, efloraofindia
Dear friends, more than convinced that this plant must be the Lambert's paracaryopsis,  Paracaryopsis lambertiana ... locally known as हिरवी निसुर्डी hirvi nisurdi
Thank you very much, dear Prashant.
Regards.

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 1, 2010, 10:37:51 PM3/1/10
to Dinesh Valke, Prashant awale, Dr Santhosh Kumar, lexon, efloraofindia
Dinesh ji
Don't you think you have replied to the wrong thread? It should have been Thyrocarpus glochidiatus thread

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Dinesh Valke

Mar 1, 2010, 10:52:55 PM3/1/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Prashant awale, Dr Santhosh Kumar, lexon, efloraofindia
... hope I am not overworking !!!

Dear friends, very sorry for the mess-up with this thread.
Please ignore my last message with words Paracaryopsis lambertiana.
Many thanks Gurcharan ji for the alert and saving any increase in confusion.

Regards.

Dinesh Valke

Mar 16, 2010, 1:45:54 PM3/16/10
to Prashant awale, Dr Santhosh Kumar, lexon, efloraofindia
Dear friends,

Satish Pardeshi ji has resolved this ID to Casearia elliptica (syn. Casearia tomentosa).

... commonly known as: downy-leaved false kamela • Gujarati: મુંઝાડ munjhaad, મુંજાળ munjaal • Hindi: छिल्ला chilla • Marathi: मोदगी modgi • Nepalese: सानो बेथे sano bethe • Sanskrit: chilhaka • Tamil: கடிச்சை katiccai • Telugu: చిలుకదుదుడి chilaka-dududi

Dear Swagat ji, please validate the name in Marathi, would modgi be मोदगी ?
The Hindi name chilla put as छिल्ला requires validation too.

Many thanks to everyone.

Regards.

JM Garg

Jul 13, 2020, 8:27:50 AM7/13/20
to efloraofindia, DineshValke, satish pardeshi
This should be Casearia graveolens as per images and details herein.
P1150063.jpg
P1150055.jpg
P1150061.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Jul 13, 2020, 11:26:23 AM7/13/20
to JM Garg, efloraofindia, satish pardeshi
OK, thank you very much, Garg ji, for validating the ID. Will shortly correct my notes at flickr.
Regards.
Dinesh