[efloraofindia:35710] Millettia pinnata from IB College Panipat

Balkar Arya

May 23, 2010, 10:18:54 AM5/23/10
to indiantreepix
Dear all
Millettia pinnata from IB College Panipat. photo taken 17-4-10

Regards

--
Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat

Millettia pinnata1.jpg
Millettia pinnata2.jpg
Millettia pinnata3.jpg
Millettia pinnata4.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

May 23, 2010, 12:07:19 PM5/23/10
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Yes Balkar ji
It is profusely flowering in Delhi also

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

tanay bose

May 23, 2010, 1:51:13 PM5/23/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Quite elaborate photography Nice catch Blakar Ji. A source of bio fuel.
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Balkar Arya

May 23, 2010, 1:58:52 PM5/23/10
to tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
Thank You Tanay

tanay bose

May 23, 2010, 2:15:29 PM5/23/10
to Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
Welcome Blakar Ji
Tanay

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 11:28 PM, Balkar Arya <balka...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank You Tanay

Regards

--
Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Pinki

May 24, 2010, 12:37:12 AM5/24/10
to efloraofindia
The valid name for the plant is Pongamia pinnata (L.) Pierre and
Millettia pinnata (L.) Panigrahi is a synonym for the same. i think as
we are discussing taxonomy to its fullest we must take care of such
confusions. this is just a suggestion and is not meant to offend
anybody's nostalgic usage of a particular name.

Alok

On May 23, 11:15 am, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Welcome Blakar Ji
> Tanay

Rajendra Shinde

May 24, 2010, 12:56:08 AM5/24/10
to alok...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
To my knowledge Pongamia and Milletia are two distinctly different trees. Both can be seen in Jijamata Udyan in Mumbai. Milletia has dark purple flowers and much small size of leaves. Pongamia flowers are lilac to while. Leaves are much larger.

RS
--
Dr. Rajendra D. Shinde,
Director, Council of International Programmes,

Gurcharan Singh

May 24, 2010, 1:21:46 AM5/24/10
to Rajendra Shinde, alok...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Pinki ji
It would be in the interest of the group if we simply give our suggestion, and not comment on others knowledge. Ours is a very refined group where members interact without aspersions on others. Words like  "i think as we are discussing taxonomy to its fullest we must take care of such confusions" have created disharmony in the past, and I request you and other members also to avoid such comments.
   Pinki ji, As ours is a net based online forum, we can't just follow the nomenclature in regional Floras, and have decided in Principle to follow the nomenclature as per KEW World Checklist, GRIN and Sorting plant names in that order. The first and third are silent on this species. GRIN treats Pongamia pinnata (L.) Pierre as synonym of Milletia pinnata (L.) Panigrahi, which should as such be considered as accepted name. So there was nothing untaxonomic about what Balkar ji and Tanay wrote.
   The role of we taxonomists is to make suggestions on nomenclature. We should avoid giving judgement.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

tanay bose

May 24, 2010, 1:38:29 AM5/24/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Rajendra Shinde, alok...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sir Ji,
Wikipedia Also treat them as synonym http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millettia_pinnata
United States Dept of Agriculture (USDA) , GRIN as you said clearly indicates the ID

Regards
Tanay