¿ what garden flora ?

Dinesh Valke

Apr 27, 2009, 12:47:06 PM4/27/09
to Indian Tree Pix
Hello friends,

... this is some garden flora. ID please.

Location: Burondi
Date: 11 APR 09

Regards.
P1240132.jpg
P1240150.jpg

J.M. Garg

Apr 30, 2009, 4:46:19 AM4/30/09
to indiantreepix
Forwarding again for Id pl.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

P1240132.jpg
P1240150.jpg

J.M. Garg

May 2, 2009, 8:56:20 AM5/2/09
to Dinesh Valke, Indian Tree Pix
Hi, Dinesh ji,
Can it be a Euonymus species like Euonymus japonicus 'Aureo-marginatus': http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/59872/ ?

Dinesh Valke

May 3, 2009, 2:18:10 AM5/3/09
to J.M. Garg, Indian Tree Pix
... not sure about garden varieties, Garg ji ... let us wait for some comments to come in.
Regards.

Tabish

May 3, 2009, 3:59:29 AM5/3/09
to indiantreepix
This should be Serissa foetida
- Tabish

On May 3, 11:18 am, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ... not sure about garden varieties, Garg ji ... let us wait for some
> comments to come in.
> Regards.
>

> On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 6:26 PM, J.M. Garg <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > *Hi, Dinesh ji,*
> > Can it be a* Euonymus* species like *Euonymus japonicus*'Aureo-marginatus':
> >http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/59872/?

Dinesh Valke

May 3, 2009, 4:26:37 AM5/3/09
to Tabish, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Thank you very much, Tabish.
Thanks very much, Garg ji.
Regards.

ranjini kamath

May 3, 2009, 5:22:54 AM5/3/09
to Dinesh Valke, Tabish, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Could be a Serissa species-but do not think it is S.foetida.It would
be v. helpful if size of flowers & leaves is mentioned-particularly
when flowers are tiny.From the pic i was lead into thinking the flower
was much larger than the Serissa flowers.Thanks.
Ranjini Kamath

Dinesh Valke

May 3, 2009, 5:33:21 AM5/3/09
to ranjini kamath, Tabish, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
... the flower: just about 10mm (- 12mm)
... the leaves: the largest about 12mm x 18mm
Your thoughts, Ranjini ji.

J.M. Garg

May 3, 2009, 6:10:07 AM5/3/09
to Dinesh Valke, ranjini kamath, Tabish, indiantreepix
Links for Serissa foetida (Snowrose, Tree of a thousand stars, or Japanese Boxthorn): http://images.google.co.in/images?hl=en&q=Serissa%20foetida&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi (pictures), http://www.floridata.com/ref/S/seri_foe.cfm (Floridata).

Some extracts from Wikipedia link (for pictures/ more details, pl. click on the link): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serissa_foetida

Serissa is a genus of flowering plants in the family Rubiaceae, containing only one species, Serissa foetida. It is native to open sub-tropical woodlands and wet meadows in southeast Asia, from India, and China to Japan. It is commonly called Snowrose, Tree of a thousand stars, or Japanese Boxthorn; and was formerly called Serissa japonica.

It is an evergreen or semi-evergreen shrub, 45-60 cm high, with oval, deep green, rather thick leaves that have an unpleasant smell if bruised (hence its name foetida). The upright stems branch in all directions and form a wide bushy dome. It is grown for its neat habit, good coverage of branches and long flowering time. It is also valued for its rough, grey trunk which tends to get lighter in colour with age.

Serissa flowers practically all year round, but particularly from early spring to near autumn (Thanksgiving or Christmas). The 4- to 6-lobed flowers are funnel-shaped and 1 cm wide. They first appear as pink buds but turn to a profusion of white flowers. Fertilizing is especially important during the long flowering period.

Many cultivars with double flowers or variegated leaves are also available. 'Pink Snow Rose' has pale pink flowers and leaves edged off-white. Other cultivars include: 'Variegata', 'Variegated Pink', 'Pink Mystic', 'Snowflake', 'Snowleaves', 'Mt. Fuji', 'Kyoto' and 'Sapporo'.

Serissa is one of the most common bonsai, especially in Japan. It is not difficult to maintain as bonsai, but is very fussy. It responds adversely by dropping leaves if over-watered, under-watered, if it's too cold, too hot, or even if just moved to a new location. The plant usually grows back to health when put back to better conditions.

ranjini kamath

May 3, 2009, 6:32:00 AM5/3/09
to J.M. Garg, Dinesh Valke, Tabish, indiantreepix
Gargji The images show different types of leaves.I know this is a
sought-after plant used in Bonsai & have seen 3 varieties.Thank you
for the link.
Dineshji Thank you for mentioning the size of the flower.

Ranjini Kamath