Polygonatum verticillatum (L.) All.

Saroj Kasaju

Jul 15, 2023, 5:46:16 AM7/15/23

Date: 31 May 2023

Jul 15, 2023, 5:46:29 AM7/15/23

Jul 15, 2023, 5:46:41 AM7/15/23

Jul 15, 2023, 5:46:52 AM7/15/23

Jul 15, 2023, 5:48:03 AM7/15/23

Jul 25, 2023, 12:55:24 AM7/25/23

Jul 25, 2023, 1:42:32 AM7/25/23

Jul 31, 2023, 11:45:02 AM7/31/23
to afloden, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Polygonatum sibiricum Redouté ??
Thank you Dr. Afloden !

Saroj Kasaju

On Mon, Jul 31, 2023 at 8:23 PM afloden <afl...@vols.utk.edu> wrote:
Hi,

 Not sure what to call this. Until the taxonomic issues of the former P. verticillatum in the Himalaya are taken care of there is no good name for some of these verticillate species there. There are multiple cytotypes with different base numbers and ploidy within those numbers (2n=28, 30, 56, 60, and higher), and then the phylogenetic issues of similar appearing taxa in different clades.

Aaron

Jul 31, 2023, 11:57:37 AM7/31/23
to afloden, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Dear Dr. Afloden,

I am enclosing the latest checklist from Nepal if it could be helpful to ID the sp.

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

On Mon, Jul 31, 2023 at 9:35 PM afloden <afl...@vols.utk.edu> wrote:
Dear Saroj,

 No, P. sibiricum is northeastern China west to Mongolia and into northeastern Gansu. It is a distinctive plant with glaucous leaves and pure white flowers.

Aaron

Jul 31, 2023, 1:31:28 PM7/31/23
to afloden, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
In that case the database in POWO, CoL, GBIF and efloraNepal/China need to be revised.
By the way I have noticed pink flowers only in the Net for P, graminifolium.

Thank you Dr. Afloden!

Saroj Kasaju

On Mon, Jul 31, 2023 at 11:00 PM afloden <afl...@vols.utk.edu> wrote:
Hi Saroj,

Thank you,

I am working with RBGE and a Nepalese co-author to rewrite the key and flora of Nepal for Polygonatum.

I'll say that P. curvistylum definitely does not occur in Nepal. It is a species endemic to a small area of Sichuan and Yunnan provinces, China. I suspect the plant in  question must be a lax-leaved P. graminifolium.

Aaron

From: afloden <afl...@vols.utk.edu>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 at 00:13
To: Saroj Kasaju <kasaj...@gmail.com>
Cc: J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com>, efloraofindia <indian...@googlegroups.com>

I agree. There is still a lot of work to do in Polygonatum. The concepts of the species need to first be tested using molecular data and cytological data. The morphology of each also needs to be well documented with closeup images of the leaves and dissected flowers. Rhizome morphology and growth patterns will also be important. I am willing to assist in any way I can.

 Polygonatum verticillatum in Europe and the Caucasus has trichomes along the abaxial veins of the leaves. In the Himalaya only P. geminiflorum has these trichomes. In China there are a few others that do, but the plants in the Himalaya referred to as P. verticillatum are glabrous or merely scabrous on the veins.

Aaron