Flower at Corbett(Samir Takaochi)

Samir Takaochi

Jul 30, 2010, 4:40:30 PM7/30/10
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends

Could you adivice name of this plant?

Place: Corbett park
Timing: June
Flower diameter:8mm
Length of flower:3cm
Height:20cm

Samir Takaochi
画像 610.jpg
画像 611.jpg
画像 613.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 30, 2010, 4:44:26 PM7/30/10
to Samir Takaochi, indiantreepix
This could be Nicotiana plumbaginifolia (SOLANACEAE) !
Regards
Pankaj

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 30, 2010, 8:31:32 PM7/30/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Samir Takaochi, indiantreepix
Yes it is

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

tanay bose

Jul 31, 2010, 12:15:39 AM7/31/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Pankaj Kumar, Samir Takaochi, indiantreepix
Nicotiana plumbaginifolia a gregarious weed in Bengal commonly known as "Ban-Tamak"

Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 31, 2010, 1:11:51 AM7/31/10
to tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, Samir Takaochi, indiantreepix
Thanks for the info. In jharkhand too its called by the same name just
with an 'U', i.e., BAN TAMAKU !!! basically meaning WILD TOBACCO. I
imagine if they really use it as tobacco. May be Mr. Pankaj Oudhia
could be of some help.
Regards
Pankaj

Vijayasankar

Jul 31, 2010, 1:21:37 AM7/31/10
to Pankaj Kumar, tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, Samir Takaochi, indiantreepix
I think the local name here is not denoting the use of the plant as tobacco.
It probably means that "this is a wild relative of the cultivated tobacco".
is that right?!

With regards

Vijayasankar

tanay bose

Jul 31, 2010, 1:28:32 AM7/31/10
to Vijayasankar, Pankaj Kumar, Gurcharan Singh, Samir Takaochi, indiantreepix
Right you are Vijaya Ji!!
Tanay

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 31, 2010, 1:33:21 AM7/31/10
to Vijayasankar, Gurcharan Singh, Samir Takaochi, indiantreepix
Hmm, but I was told by tribals that they use it....but what ever may
be the case, you see they can really make out that its a relative of
real tobacco.....
This is what I was telling in another post that Farmers and Tribals do
have more knowledge which they have gained through experiences of
ages....
Thanks for the info. Will wait for Mr. Oudhia's comments if he has any
on this plant.
Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Oudhia

Jul 31, 2010, 2:11:40 AM7/31/10
to efloraofindia
I heard about its uses from Jharkhand based anthropologist Shri Bulu Imam's wife. Bulu lives in Hazaribagh. His wife is from tribal background and knows practcial uses of herbs. She is documenting this knowledge.

I was reading about the use of Achyranthes to ease the process of child birth from S.K. Jain's  (sir) time. Later heard about it from the Healers but for the first time learnt its practcial use from her only. There are so many unsung heroes in our society.

In Jharkhand this herb is known from different names in different regions. In area near to North Chhattisgarh locally it is known as Chepti. In Chatra area I was informed its name as Chinchli. Its name was mentioned different when I got sample for its identification from Ranchi region. "Local names change in every kilometer."

Sorry Pankaj ji, if I am enchroaching your territory i.e. Jharkhand.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Samir Takaochi

Jul 31, 2010, 4:15:46 AM7/31/10
to indiantreepix
Pankaj ji, Gurcharan ji, Tanay ji, Vijay ji, thank you so much again for you precious advices and many informations!!

Samir Takaochi

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 31, 2010, 8:35:35 AM7/31/10
to Samir Takaochi, indiantreepix
Dear Oudhia sir,
I have no issues. Infact I was expecting you to know more abt this
issue, and so I myself requested you to comment. My work is more
related to orchids and not medicinal plants, so feel free to add up
your comments, and sometimes in future if needed I will surely look
forward for your suggestions..... Moreover there is PRESIDENT'S RULE
in Jharkhand, it it belongs to none now :)).
Secondly, I was talking abt Nicotiana and I think the names you
provided are of Achyranthes which is caled Chinchili by some
tribes.....am I right.....I just wish to know whether the plant
Nicotiana plumbaginifolia is being used as substitute for tobacco by
tribals or not?

Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Oudhia

Jul 31, 2010, 1:58:15 PM7/31/10
to efloraofindia
Thanks for your reply.

Chinchili and Chepti both are local names of Nicotiana plumbaginifolia in different parts of Jharkhand.

Regarding the reason behind Ban Tambakhu I am with Vijayashankar ji.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 31, 2010, 2:08:28 PM7/31/10