111-TSP-ID-07OCT2016-3:Dendrobium sp @ Kottigehara-3 for ID

tsp kumar

Oct 7, 2016, 11:13:00 AM10/7/16
to efloraofindia

Dear friends,

Kindly examine and identify this Dendrobium sp ( Orchidaceae).......I understand that Dendrobium heyneana,Dendrobium panduratum and Dendrobium wightii are strikingly similar to one another.I could not place them appropriately...!?

Habit:Herb

Habitat:Epiphytic, growing close to the ground on lower branches,Evergreen forest

Sighting:Kottigehara,Chikmagalur,Karnataka,about 1100 msl

Date:13-08-2016

Thanks and regards

tspkumar

Kottigehara-TSP-13-08-2016-0166-EOS 7D Mark II (1).jpg
Kottigehara-TSP-13-08-2016-0166-EOS 7D Mark II (2).jpg

J.M. Garg

Oct 8, 2016, 12:14:57 AM10/8/16
to tsp kumar, efloraofindia
Thanks, Kumar ji, for nice images.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2700 members & 2,40,000 messages on 31.3.16) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 11,000 species & 2,20,000 images).

tsp kumar

Oct 8, 2016, 12:56:56 AM10/8/16
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
My pleasure Garg ji
regards

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Oct 11, 2016, 9:37:56 PM10/11/16
to efloraofindia
I will quote from Memoirs of Seidenfaden although I am not a big fan of this book:
"This species is often confused with D. wightii, but the lip characters (obovate pinkish with white 3-lobed, erect acute sidelobes with green striped and orbicular-oblong midlone, subrotund, fleshy, incise crenate on margin and mucronate at the apex; disc with longitudinal calli) and laterally compressed stems of D. heyneanum are very characteristic."
Now you plant shows all characters except the green markings on side lobes and I am not sure I do think there are two longitudinal calli on the lip. Hence this should be heyneanum.
But cant say that for sure. Cant see the stem.
Thanks and regards
Pankaj

Dr Pankaj Kumar

tsp kumar

Oct 12, 2016, 1:51:18 AM10/12/16
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia

Thanks Pankaj ji
regards

Dr Pankaj Kumar

May 7, 2021, 4:34:33 AM5/7/21
to efloraofindia
Ok I am inclined to call this Dendrobium heyneanum. I see no hairs and then the margin is crenate.
Pankaj

J.M. Garg

May 7, 2021, 4:48:51 AM5/7/21
to efloraofindia, tsp, Dr. Pankaj Kumar