100610vks2

vinay

Jun 10, 2010, 1:13:44 PM6/10/10
to indiantreepix
Dear all
I am sending this plant for id. flowers not available. pics taken on 7th june 10 in JNU New Delhi.
With regards
Vinay
Delhi_vks (800x533) (363).jpg
Delhi_vks (800x533) (365).jpg

Muthu Karthick

Jun 10, 2010, 1:21:42 PM6/10/10
to vinay, indiantreepix
This climber is Ipomoea pes-tigridis L. of Convolvulaceae. I think this herb is native.
Tamil Name: Pulichovadi, Poonaikkeerai

Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow
Care Earth Trust
Chennai - 61
www.careearthtrust.org

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 10, 2010, 10:15:35 PM6/10/10
to Muthu Karthick, vinay, indiantreepix
Muthu ji
In I. pes-tigridis the leaves are deeply palmately lobed, here they are 5-foliate, so it should be I. pentaphylla, commonly reported from Delhi. Flowers will confirm.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

R. Vijayasankar

Jun 10, 2010, 11:39:59 PM6/10/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Muthu Karthick, vinay, indiantreepix
Merremia aegyptia is the accepted name for Ipomoea pentaphylla http://species.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ipomoea_pentaphylla.
With regards

R. Vijayasankar

tanay bose

Jun 10, 2010, 11:43:48 PM6/10/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Muthu Karthick, vinay, indiantreepix
Dear Muthu,
This is Ipomoea pentaphylla indeed!! As said by Gurcharan Ji Ipomoea pes-tigridis has a lobed leaf and not palmately compound leaf as seen in this plant. I am attaching a photo which will help to differentiate the leaves of two species.
Regards
Tanay
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)

Difference.jpg

Rashida Atthar

Jun 11, 2010, 1:48:19 AM6/11/10
to tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, Muthu Karthick, vinay, indiantreepix
Very nice photographs of the two species to see the difference. Thanks for the efforts Tanay ji.

regards,
Rashida.

Muthu Karthick

Jun 11, 2010, 1:50:03 AM6/11/10
to tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, vinay, indiantreepix
Dear all,
sorry for wrong id. Thank you Singhji and Tanayji for clarification and specially the comparative picture.
Merremia aegyptia (L.) Urban is the recent name for this. Lets wait for flowers.

tanay bose

Jun 11, 2010, 7:12:03 AM6/11/10
to Muthu Karthick, Gurcharan Singh, vinay, indiantreepix
Waiting for the flower is a great decision !!
Tanay