Magnolia grandiflora

Rajendra Shinde

Jun 5, 2010, 11:22:55 AM6/5/10
to indiantreepix Indian

Hello,

You all must have seen this before but could not resist it. Magnolia grandiflora - really a grand size of flower. We get this in NE of India too.

Rajendra Shinde

Date/Time--------------04.06.2010 at 9.40 am
Location- Place, Altitude, GPS- --------------- University of California, Berkeley, USA
Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type----------- Garden

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb- Avenue Tree
Height/Length- -----------------8-10 Mt?

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size—------ Thick, leathery. More than 6 in long and upto 6 in broad
Inflorescence Type/ Size- Solitary
Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts- - Size more than a coconut –white

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

--
Dr. Rajendra D. Shinde,
Director, Council of International Programmes,
& Reader in Botany
St. Xavier's College,
(University of Mumbai)
Mumbai 400001.
India.
Off. Tel. +91-22-2262 0662 ext 356
Cell : 9819100131
P6040206.JPG
P6040209.JPG
P6040211.JPG
P6040213.JPG
P6040216.JPG
P6040218.JPG

tanay bose

Jun 5, 2010, 11:26:17 AM6/5/10
to Rajendra Shinde, indiantreepix Indian
Lovely photos and Rajendra Ji
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 5, 2010, 11:45:42 AM6/5/10
to tanay bose, Rajendra Shinde, indiantreepix Indian
rajendra ji
Really nice photos. I remember, nearly 50 years back we had a tall tree at least 100 m away from our house, and the fragrance of flowers would  reach our house. I have never seen such big flowers since then. We would pluck a flower bud about 6 inches long, put it in a glass of water (as a vase). It would take nearly ten days to fully open and all these days there would be fragrance all over house.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

tanay bose

Jun 5, 2010, 11:56:50 AM6/5/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Rajendra Shinde, indiantreepix Indian
interesting fact Sir Ji
Tanay

Kenneth Greby

Jun 5, 2010, 12:16:43 PM6/5/10
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, Rajendra Shinde, indiantreepix Indian
 This tree is native to forested and swampy areas of the SE United States, characterized by acid soils and heavy summer rainfall and high humidity. Interestingly, more trees are now planted in California's Mediterranean climate, with neutral to slightly alkaline soils and long, dry summers. The tree also does well in the intermediate deserts of the SW US, such as Tucson, AZ!

 A rather amazingly adaptable species.

Regards--
Ken.

Jun 5, 2010, 1:21:47 PM6/5/10
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, Kenneth Greby, Rajendra Shinde, indiantreepix Indian
Hi,
 My photographs taken in the Neora Valley National Park, but presume they are of Magnolia campbelli.
                        Regards,
                          Neil Soares.

--- On Sat, 6/5/10, Kenneth Greby <fst...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Magnolia 1.jpg
Magnolia 2.jpg
Magnolia 3.jpg
Magnolia 4.jpg
Magnolia 5.jpg
Magnolia 6.jpg

Kenneth Greby

Jun 5, 2010, 1:42:55 PM6/5/10
to Neil Soares, Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, Rajendra Shinde, indiantreepix Indian
Neil--

 I'm used to seeing M. campbellii (here in the US) as a pink-flowered tree.

 Could yours be M. doltsopa (Michelia doltsopa)?

Regards--
Ken.

Jun 5, 2010, 2:20:04 PM6/5/10
to Kenneth Greby, Neil Soares, Gurcharan Singh, Rajendra Shinde, indiantreepix Indian
Dear Ken ,
I think you are right M campbellii has pink colour flowers. You guess M doltsopa is quite justified!!
Regards
Tanay

Neil Soares

Jun 8, 2010, 12:06:18 AM6/8/10
to Kenneth Greby, tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, Rajendra Shinde, indiantreepix Indian
Thanks Ken & Tanay. Will go with what you'll say.
                     Regards,
                       Neil.

Narendra Joshi

Jun 14, 2010, 8:28:38 AM6/14/10
to Rajendra Shinde, Indiantrees
Wonderful photos ! Last month I have also came across this tree at Chandigarh with few flowers on the top.

Narendra Joshi

--- On Sat, 6/5/10, Rajendra Shinde <rdsh...@gmail.com> wrote:

Rajendra Shinde

JM Garg

J.M. Garg

On Saturday, June 5, 2010 10:51:47 PM UTC+5:30, Neil wrote:
Hi,
 My photographs taken in the Neora Valley National Park, but presume they are of Magnolia campbelli.
                        Regards,
                          Neil Soares.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2265 members & 1,82,700 messages on 28/2/14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 9000 species & 1,80,000 images).

Magnolia 1.jpg
Magnolia 2.jpg
Magnolia 3.jpg
Magnolia 4.jpg
Magnolia 5.jpg
Magnolia 6.jpg

J.M. Garg

Mar 5, 2014, 11:19:02 PM3/5/14
to efloraofindia, Neil Soares
Thanks, Dr. Panda.

Mar 6, 2014, 12:06:09 PM3/6/14
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Neil Soares
So you mean to say the original post is of Magnolia grandiflora and that posted by Neil ji is Michelia doltsopa??

Dr Satish Phadke

J.M. Garg

Mar 6, 2014, 11:09:46 PM3/6/14
to Satish Phadke, efloraofindia, Neil Soares
Hi, Satish ji,
He has only commented on Neil ji's pictures which I forwarded.