Durva

nabha meghani

Jun 23, 2010, 6:23:34 AM6/23/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hallo,
can someone tell me, which grass is called Durva, any speciality and characteristics of this grass. In my childhood i used to go with my grandma to a nearby ground to collect Durva and my grandma knew, where it was found.
I have a lawn, but I don't know if I can find durva here too.
TIA and regards
Nalini

mani nair

Jun 23, 2010, 7:13:14 AM6/23/10
to nabha meghani, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Naliniji, Durva grass is thin leaved grass commonly grown in gardens and roadside.  We offer this grass to Lord Ganesha.   It  has cooling property.  Waiting for more answers.

Regards,

Mani.

nabha meghani

Jun 23, 2010, 7:45:14 AM6/23/10
to sachin dangat, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Sachinji,
 but I wanted to know how to distinguish between Durva gras and other grass.
regards
Nalini
Jun 23, 2010, 8:13:03 AM6/23/10
to mani nair, nabha meghani, indian...@googlegroups.com
Nalini ji,
To my knowledge thin leaved grass with 3 or 5 blades  is offered to Lord gansha as Durva.
I remember having collected 21 durvas for my mom in the childhood. As per her instructions the 1st preference was to collect with 3 blades.
Cheers,
Shubhada

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

Jun 23, 2010, 9:36:17 AM6/23/10
to shubhada nikharge, mani nair, nabha meghani, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Nalini Ji,
Its hard to tell whats is the difference between Durva (Cynodon dactylon) and other grasses,. Grass is really a vague term (we call all Poaceae & Cyperaceae members of the world as GRASS commonly) in a lawn or a meadow there may be several grass species, hence really tough to say how it  will look in contrast with the other members (if we don't know other names of the grass present there). The links I am attaching may help you a bit
http://www.missouriplants.com/Grasses/Cynodon_dactylon_page.html
http://www.tropicalforages.info/key/Forages/Media/Html/Cynodon_dactylon.htm

Regards
Tanay