Plant for ID: Koonammavu: Kerala: 8/7/2021

Nancy Seby

Jul 24, 2021, 6:42:57 AM7/24/21
to efloraofindia
Hello everybody,

Please help ID this wild plant that grows beside a waterbody in Koonammavu, Kerala. The area has saline water.

This plant is 4-6 feet tall, and produces small, light purple flowers. This is unfortunately not the flowering season.

Thank you and warm regards
Nancy Seby
Plant for ID1.JPG
Plant for ID6.JPG
Plant for ID2.JPG

Mahadeswara

Jul 24, 2021, 9:00:51 AM7/24/21
to efloraofindia
A  guess :  Ilex aquifolium - in the absence of flowers and fruits it is a wild guess.

radha veach

Jul 24, 2021, 10:47:48 AM7/24/21
to efloraofindia
Acanthus ilicifolius

Regards
Radha

Nancy Seby

Jul 24, 2021, 11:56:06 AM7/24/21
to efloraofindia
Thank you Mr. Mahadeswara and Ms. Radha.

Ilex aquifolium does not look right since this plant does not have the characteristic red fruits.

Acanthus ilicifolius looks right, https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/species/a---l/a/acanthaceae/acanthus/acanthus-ilicifolius. I am surprised that some plants have leaves with straight margins, and some have holly-like leaves.

Thank you and warm regards
Nancy Seby

M Swamy

Jul 24, 2021, 11:13:04 PM7/24/21
to efloraofindia
That is why I said it is a guess in the absence of fruits or flowers in your posting.   Thanks Radha ji for the correct ID.

Nancy Seby

Jul 25, 2021, 11:17:10 AM7/25/21
to efloraofindia
Thank you for helping will the ID, Mr. Mahadeswara.

I will post pictures of the flowers once they bloom.

Warm regards
Nancy Seby

James J

Dec 29, 2021, 2:05:37 AM12/29/21