Rhizophora mucronata from Goa_Feb 09_SSN

shubhada nikharge

Feb 9, 2010, 2:42:24 AM2/9/10
to indian tree pix

Hi,

Rhizophora mucronata

Family: Rhizophoraceae

pics taken in the mangrove forests at Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary, Chorao island, Goa in Feb 2009.

More tolerant of sandy and firmer ground than other Rhizophoras.

Grows well in soft mud too and is believed to be among the few that can survive complete daily inundation.

Fruits: Brown, leathery, oval/conical fruit. The seed germinates in the fruit forming a seedling up to 60cm long. The seedling grows straight, has a warty bumpy surface and a pointed tip.

Leaves: Leaf stipule yellowish. Tiny black spots on the underside of the leaf.

Roots: All Rhizophora species have arching stilt roots that emerge from the trunk, hence their scientific name Rhizophora which means "root bearer" in Greek.
These roots not only hold up the tree in soft mud, but are also permeable to gases, while remaining impermeable to salts. In fact, the entire upper root system including the trunk and prop roots that emerge from the branches have this feature. Thus the roots also help the tree to breathe.

Cheers,
Shubhada

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

rhizophora mucronata 2009_0211_goa_1_0079 e.JPG
rhizophora mucronata leaves 2009_0211_goa_1_0081 e.JPG
rhizophora mucronata seedling 2009_0211_goa_1_0077 e.JPG