For ID 190810 a ET

Thiruvengadam Ekambaram

Aug 19, 2010, 6:01:14 AM8/19/10
to indiantreepix
Friends
I took this flower pictures in Mana. Uttarakhand
Date/Time-14.7.10 ----6.53 a.m
Location- Place, Altitude, GPS- --- Mana
Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type- ----wild
Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb- --- Plant
Height/Length- -----around 0.75me
Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size -------as seen in the picture
Inflorescence Type/ Size-
Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts- ---- Size 3to4 inch,as seen in the picture
Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-
Please give ID
With Warm Regards,

E.Thiruvengadam
Mobile 09987886892
Chembur, Mumbai - 400074

IMG_1292.JPG
IMG_1293.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 19, 2010, 7:06:07 AM8/19/10
to Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, indiantreepix
Datura stramonium, I suppose

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

tanay bose

Aug 19, 2010, 9:03:35 AM8/19/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, indiantreepix
I too think this is Datura stramonium
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant

mani nair

Aug 20, 2010, 3:30:11 AM8/20/10
to tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, indiantreepix
I also think this is Datura.   In our place devotees offer the fruits of this plant to Lord Shiva.  We find lots of fruits for sale on Mondays near Shiva Temples.

Regards.

Mani.

Dinesh Valke

Aug 20, 2010, 3:50:45 AM8/20/10
to mani nair, tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, indiantreepix
... Mani ji, have been considering the fruits of Datura to be poisonous ... are they sold for some different purpose ?
Regards.

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 20, 2010, 6:16:40 AM8/20/10
to Dinesh Valke, mani nair, tanay bose, Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, indiantreepix
Yes Dinesh ji. The seeds from the plant are highly poisonous and often employed in homicidal purposes (this my book from CSIR writes). Leaves and flowering tops constitute drug stramonium (hyoscyamine the active principle) used as narcotic, antispasmodic and anodyne. Chief ingredient of Kanaka Asva.

Local names
English: Jimson weed, Stink weed, Mad apple, Thorn apple, Stramonium
Hindi, Beng. Guj.& Mah: Dhatura
Tel., Tam., Kan., & Mal: Ummatta
Sans: Dhatturra, Unmatta, Kanaka, Shivapriya

mani nair

Aug 20, 2010, 6:27:31 AM8/20/10
to Dinesh Valke, tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, indiantreepix
Yes, I have seen the fruits for sale near Dadar (W) foot path and near Shiva temples.
The devotees offer it to Lord Shiva.  I also think it is poisonos.

Regards,

Mani.

promila chaturvedi

Aug 20, 2010, 9:27:21 AM8/20/10
to mani nair, tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, indiantreepix
It is Dhatura.Promila