Atropa acuminata from Gulmarg, Kashmir

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 29, 2011, 4:13:36 AM7/29/11
to efloraofindia
Atropa acuminata Royle ex Lindl., Hooker's J. Bot. Kew Gard. Misc. 1:138. 1849 (J. Hort. Soc. London 1:306. 1846)
syn: Atropa belladona Clarke (non L.)

Common names: Indian beladona, Indian deadly nightshade

Herb up to 1.6 m tall with alternate, ovate-lanceolate acuminate leaves; flowers yellow, 2-2.5 cm long, stamens included.
All parts of the plant contain the alkaloids atropine, hyoscyamine and bellodonnine, which are used as a sedative, antispasmodic, in convulsive disorders and as an antidote for poisoning. The black berries are very poisonous and cause delirium and dilation of the pupils.

Photographed from Gulmarg, Kashmir

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Atropa-acuminata-Gulmarg-Kashmir-1.jpg
Atropa-acuminata-Gulmarg-Kashmir-2.jpg

Ushadi micromini

Jul 29, 2011, 7:19:50 AM7/29/11
to efloraofindia
Very nice, clear depction..
does it get berries that turn black, just like the ones in described
in
classical herbals...
or is it different?
and ethnobotanical uses etc?

Usha di
====

On Jul 29, 1:13 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Atropa acuminata* Royle ex Lindl., Hooker's J. Bot. Kew Gard. Misc. 1:138.
>  Atropa-acuminata-Gulmarg-Kashmir-1.jpg
> 135KViewDownload
>
>  Atropa-acuminata-Gulmarg-Kashmir-2.jpg
> 233KViewDownload

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 29, 2011, 9:01:25 AM7/29/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Usha di
They are reported to be black in this species. I am visiting the place in another fortnight, hope they are ripe by then and I may be able to photograph.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Balkar Arya

Jul 29, 2011, 11:22:32 AM7/29/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Nice Pics Sir
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh