Palm tree with leaves and round red berries UD 8212011 003

ushadi Micromini

Aug 21, 2011, 12:08:55 PM8/21/11
to efloraofindia

Dear All:

Please tell me what palm is this fellow....

in my neighborhood... did not develop these berries two years ago...

Date/Time- 8/15/2011

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-  Sea level or even a little below it... Gangetic plain, Kolkata

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-  Planted... part of somebody's landscape...

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-  Tree

Height/Length-  about 12 to 14 feet

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-  large fan shaped

Inflorescence Type/ Size- not seen now...

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-  same as above

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-  red berries , about 1.2 to 1.5 cms

Other Information like Fragrance, Pollinator, Uses etc.-  do not know

I do not know much about its history....

Just noticed its bunches of red berries  since last two weeks...

Seeds fallen on the ground and coming out of the skin do not seem to be sprouting yet... monsoon is almost over ...

Thanks for your help.,

Usha di

===

Palm to ID 1 red berries DSC04405 sm crop nm.jpg
PAlm to ID 2 Red Berries DSC04407 crop small name.jpg
Palm to ID 3 Red berries Habitat and STEM DSC04413 sm crp nm.jpg
Palm to id 4 Red berries LEAF SHAPE and edges DSC04423 sm crp nm.jpg
Palm to ID 5 Red bverries FALLEN SIZE ruler DSC04445 sm crp name.jpg

Pudji Widodo

Aug 21, 2011, 1:31:00 PM8/21/11
to efloraofindia
I think it is Licuala grandis (Hort. ex W. Bull) H. Wendl.

Pudji Widodo
Fakultas Biologi Universitas Jenderal Soedirman
PURWOKERTO 53122 INDONESIA

Ushadi micromini

Sep 2, 2011, 8:16:53 PM9/2/11
to efloraofindia
thank you...
let see if any student of palm or expert says...

usha di
======

H S

Sep 3, 2011, 1:53:24 AM9/3/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
 Licuala grandis (Hort. ex W. Bull) H. Wendl.

regards,
--
 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

Ushadi micromini

Sep 3, 2011, 12:18:52 PM9/3/11
to efloraofindia
HS : so you agree with Pudji ji, good and thanks... Usha di