Palm Tree for ID | 07Jun10AR01

raghu ananth

Jun 6, 2010, 1:23:11 AM6/6/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Date/Time :

Nov 09 2008 10.52 AM

Location- Place, altitude and GPS:

Near Singapura, Western ghats,  Kerala, 3000 feet,

Habitat- garden/ urban/wild/type:

Rubber estates

Plant Habit-tree/shrub/climber/herb:

 Tree

Height/length:

10-12  feet Approx.

Leaves-type/shape/size:

Pinnate, 1 meter (individual leaf), 5 meters ( frond),

Inflorescence type /size:

-

Flowers-size/colour/calyx/bracts:

-

Fruits type-shape/size/seeds:

 -

Fragrance/odour/pollinator/uses  and so  on:

 -

DSC_3943a.jpg
DSC_3945b.jpg
DSC_3948c.jpg

R. Vijayasankar

Jun 6, 2010, 1:36:24 AM6/6/10
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Nice pictures of Cycas circinalis, a gymnosperm, with male cone at the tip of the trunk.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

Smilax004

Jun 6, 2010, 2:52:20 AM6/6/10
to efloraofindia
Yes Cycas circinalis. But this is not a palm tree as the subject says.
It is a Gymnosperm cones under the family Cycadaceae and distributed
in the forests of the Western Ghats. It is an Endemic plant.

Regards,
Giby

On Jun 6, 10:36 am, "R. Vijayasankar" <vijay.botan...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Nice pictures of *Cycas circinalis*, a gymnosperm, with male cone at the tip
> > indiantreepi...@googlegroups.com<indiantreepix%2Bunsubscribe@goog legroups.com>
> > .

R. Vijayasankar

Jun 6, 2010, 3:09:43 AM6/6/10
to Smilax004, efloraofindia
It is also a Red Listed species whose wild population is facing various kinds of threats. The leaves are collected and used for decoration purpose during festivals and functions (espl. i hv seen in Karnataka). The apical (meristam, the growing point of) stem is said to be harvested (so the naturally slow-growing plant can't grow anymore and eventually die) and sold in markets for use as medicine (a candidate for the ayurvedic drug 'vidari') as well as in sago industry.

When the male cone is mature, the countless spores are dusted in the air. These spores are allergic to some and the smell is distinctly foetid. So in the forest, even from quite a long distance, you will be able to know that the plant is in 'bloom'.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

tanay bose

Jun 6, 2010, 6:48:25 AM6/6/10
to R. Vijayasankar, Smilax004, efloraofindia
Cycas circinalis Indeed the size is a good one !!
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Jul 11, 2010, 5:32:40 PM7/11/10
to efloraofindia
The leaves are slightly curved, I thought circinalis has straight
leaves where as rumphii has slightly curved one. Or it is the other
way around. Please do let me know Giby and Vijay....
By the way I have 6 feet tall C. circinalis at my home.....but it
never gave cones....
Pankaj