Tree for id 1002MK2

Muthu Karthick

Feb 10, 2010, 10:25:18 AM2/10/10
to indiantreepix

Dear all,
I picked these twig yesterday and could not take picture on the spot and I taken for herbarium. With the camera, I picturised this this night only. So, kindly bare with the poor photograph.
Place: Satyamangalam WLS; 1000 msl
The area is with mixed forests, having Dry as well as moist spp. components.

The tree growing up to a height of 8M tall; leaves glabrous and are ca. 10 x 6 cm; oblique leaf base; epigynous condition

Could this be a Myrtaceae member?
--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow

R. Vijayasankar

Feb 16, 2010, 2:40:58 AM2/16/10
to Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Randia candolleana, i suppose. Did u observe any thorns on basal stems?

With regards

R. Vijayasankar
FRLHT, Bangalore

J.M. Garg

Mar 10, 2010, 5:26:25 AM3/10/10
to efloraofindia, Vijayasankar Raman, Muthu Karthick

Earlier relevant feedback:

Randia candolleana, i suppose. Did u observe any thorns on basal stems?

With regards

R. Vijayasankar
FRLHT, Bangalore”

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

Picture 023.jpg
Picture 024.jpg
Picture 025.jpg

Muthu Karthick

Mar 14, 2010, 2:47:16 PM3/14/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Vijayasankar Raman
Any recent change in the nomenclature of this tree?
Kindly help.

R. Vijayasankar

Mar 15, 2010, 1:56:10 PM3/15/10
to Muthu Karthick, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
The latest name is Deccania pubescens var. candolleana (W. & A.) Tirveng.
It is a less known endemic plant. For description refer K.M.Matthew's Fl. Tamilnadu Carnatic.
--
With regards

R. Vijayasankar
National Center for Natural Products Research,
The University of Mississippi,
Oxford, MS-38677, USA.

Muthu Karthick

Mar 16, 2010, 1:24:54 AM3/16/10
to R. Vijayasankar, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thank you much for the clarification sir,
This tree is also reported from Tiruvannamalai and Vellore Districts of Tamil Nadu.