Grass for ID

satyendra tiwari

Nov 18, 2009, 8:01:26 AM11/18/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,
I photographed this grass day before yesterday in Bandhavgarh National Park area.
May I request you all to help in ID please.
Regards.
SATYNDRA
--
Satyendra K.Tiwari.
Wildlife Photographer, Naturalist, Tour Leader

Nayan Singh

Nov 18, 2009, 11:37:32 AM11/18/09
to satyendra tiwari, indiantreepix
looks like some Cenchrus sp
thanks
 N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100

Nov 19, 2009, 1:58:34 AM11/19/09
to satyendra tiwari, indian...@googlegroups.com
Why not Setaria?

Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow
Care Earth
Chennai
www.careearthtrust.org

Pankaj Oudhia

Nov 19, 2009, 2:04:00 AM11/19/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
And why not Dinebra?

Pankaj Oudhia

Rani Bhagat

Nov 19, 2009, 2:56:49 AM11/19/09
to Pankaj Oudhia, indian...@googlegroups.com
Ya it is cenchrus species
Say yes to yes and no to no
Rani Bhagat
Agharkar Research Institute
G.G.Agarkar Rd.
Pune 4 Maharashtra India

J.M. Garg

Dec 17, 2009, 5:46:33 AM12/17/09
to indiantreepix, satyendra tiwari, Muthu Karthick, Pankaj Oudhia, Rani Bhagat, grassman

Forwarding again for Id assistance pl.

Earlier relevant feedback:

“looks like some Cenchrus sp
thanks
 N.S.Dungriyal IFS”

“Why not Setaria?” from Muthu ji.

“Ya it is cenchrus species” from Rani ji.

Grass flowers for ID GRASS SK 002_DSC6945 copy.jpg

J.M. Garg

Dec 17, 2009, 6:27:51 AM12/17/09
to indiantreepix, satyendra tiwari, Muthu Karthick, Pankaj Oudhia, Rani Bhagat, grassman
Reply from Oudhia ji:
"Dear Garg ji,

  Please suggest someone to see a book titled Bombay Grasses. In that book large diagram of this grass is present. From that I identified it when I was student. I am missing this book much.
regards
Pankaj Oudhia"

Aparna Watve

Dec 17, 2009, 6:56:03 AM12/17/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, satyendra tiwari, Muthu Karthick, Pankaj Oudhia, Rani Bhagat, grassman
very few good libraries have this book. I used it in Agharkar Res
Institute and BSI. Will be great if one of the persons having access
to the book can digitize and upload it. It is a good book for knowing
grasses of former Bombay presidency. old names but still invaluable to
researchers
aparna

--
Dr. Aparna Watve
Dr. Aparna Watve

Anil Kumar

Dec 17, 2009, 1:21:11 PM12/17/09
to Aparna Watve, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, satyendra tiwari, Muthu Karthick, Pankaj Oudhia, Rani Bhagat
Dear Garg ji

 this one is Pennisetum pedicellatum.

now why this one is not setaria  or Cenchrus?

Answer is
 In setaria you have barbs at the base and lemma and palae are hard but not in cenchrus or pennisetum

In cenchrus you have a  involucre cup of hairs  which is absent in pennisetum.

--
regards
Dr.Anil Kumar

J.M. Garg

Dec 17, 2009, 11:42:25 PM12/17/09
to indiantreepix, satyendra tiwari, Muthu Karthick, Pankaj Oudhia, Rani Bhagat, grassman, C KUNHIKANNAN
"It is not Cenchrus, Setaria, Dinebra. This is Pennisetum pedicillatum  grown as fodder. There are similar species in Central India but with more pink colour for the spike. It is P.purpureum. One species growing in eastern ghats area which is used for making rope is P.hohanakerii. Cenchrus is similar to this specis but spike is shorter and awns are rigid. Dinebra is entirely different species.
Kunhikannan"

Aparna Watve

Dec 18, 2009, 12:36:40 AM12/18/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, satyendra tiwari, Muthu Karthick, Pankaj Oudhia, Rani Bhagat, grassman, C KUNHIKANNAN
Thanks Anilji for clarifying this one. As you all must have realized
from Dr.Anil's response on distinguishing characters- none can be made
out in the photo. It is only because he and Kunhikannan ji are
experienced botanists that they can give an id of the plant from the
present photo- which is correct. So next time someone sees a grass
with similar looking inflorescence, they should try and get the key
characters in photo or at least mention them.
aparna