Re: Pine trees

1 view

drneil...@yahoo.com

May 26, 2009, 1:17:15 PM5/26/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
 In Bombay at Holy Spirit Hospital, Andheri, where I am a Consultant, we have a Chir Pine [Pinus roxburghii] tree that has grown to the height of a 3 storey building. I have watched it grow over the last 20 years.
 Sending a few photographs.
                        With regards,
                          Neil Soares.

Pine tree 1.jpg
Pine tree 2.jpg
Pine tree 3.jpg
Pine tree 4.jpg
Pine tree 5.jpg

Kenneth Greby

May 26, 2009, 1:41:26 PM5/26/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com, drneil...@yahoo.com
Neil--

 Interesting to see this P. roxburghii growing in the humid tropics. It is occasionally used (though not as frequently as the similar Pinus canariensis (Canary Island Pine)) as a street tree in the southwestern US. It thrives in Mediterranean climates such as Los Angeles and is also successful in the intermediate desert (Las Vegas, Nevada and Tucson, Arizona).

 I am now wondering if it may well grow in more humid areas such as Miami, Florida.

 Thanks for the pictures.

Regards--
Ken Greby.

Devendra Bhardwaj

May 26, 2009, 8:09:41 PM5/26/09
to drneil...@yahoo.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hello ,
       TFS
Regard
Devendra Bhardwaj

May 26, 2009, 9:00:43 PM5/26/09
to Devendra Bhardwaj, drneil...@yahoo.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Friends,

This specimen looks rather bedraggled! In drier locales like Delhi and Chandigarh a thirty year old tree would be a full specimen. It will indeed grow in humid tropical situations as indeed this one has in Mumbai but not develop its full character. Similarly, the ubiquitous Neem of drier parts of Gujarat and Rajasthan make rather poor trees in the Konkan.

Lavkumar Khachar.