Srinagar, August 2022 :: Sambucus wightiana :: ARK2022-123

Alka Khare

Oct 3, 2022, 11:17:04 PM10/3/22
to eFloraofIndia
Hello friends

This was at Ganderbal near Srinagar, Kashmir in August 2022.
This was profuse along the entire stretch of the road.

Sambucus wightiana

Thanks and regards
Alka Khare
Sambucus wightiana_Srinagar Ganderbal1.JPG
Sambucus wightiana_Srinagar Ganderbal2.JPG
Sambucus wightiana_Srinagar Ganderbal3.JPG

Mahadeswara

Oct 4, 2022, 11:58:50 PM10/4/22
to eFloraofIndia
Superb images by Alka ji.
The ID is correct.

Alka Khare

Oct 5, 2022, 12:47:16 AM10/5/22
to eFloraofIndia
Thank you Mahadeswara ji for validating

Regards
Alka Khare

J.M. Garg

Oct 5, 2022, 7:00:51 AM10/5/22
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Alka, M Swamy
Yes, appears close as per images at Sambucus wightiana Wall.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

Alka Khare

Oct 5, 2022, 11:02:14 PM10/5/22
to eFloraofIndia
Thanks Garg ji

Regards
Alka Khare

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 11, 2022, 6:20:22 AM10/11/22
to eFloraofIndia
Yes Alka ji, a very common species on mountain slopes.

Alka Khare

Oct 11, 2022, 11:45:55 PM10/11/22
to eFloraofIndia
Thank you Sir ji.

Regards
Alka Khare

taffa...@gmail.com

Oct 12, 2022, 3:39:21 AM10/12/22
to eFloraofIndia
It is called "Phakul" by the Pahari people . "Phakul" literally means bad smelling. Prompted by a resident familiar with it I tasted a berry and found it to have a sweet but unpleasant taste.  I am not sure about its toxicity in larger amounts.
Regards
taffazull

Alka Khare

Oct 12, 2022, 10:47:40 PM10/12/22
to eFloraofIndia
Thanks Taffazull ji for the additional info.

Regards
Alka Khare