Campanula cashmeriana in FOI

J.M. Garg

Jan 13, 2021, 12:42:30 AM1/13/21
to efloraofindia, Tabish, Saroj Kasaju, Prashant awale
Hi, Tabish ji,
I think images of Campanula cashmeriana in FOI should be of Campanula argyrotricha as per images and details herein.
Thanks, Saroj ji, for pointing out.
Pl. correct.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Saroj Kasaju

Jan 13, 2021, 12:42:59 AM1/13/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Tabish, Prashant awale

Thank you Mr. Garg !

Saroj Kasaju

Tabish

Jan 13, 2021, 10:59:44 AM1/13/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju, Prashant awale
Dear Garg ji,
   I have had a close look at Campanula argyrotricha. if you look at the description and drawing at FoP
Plants up to 20 cm tall, stems numerous, procumbent, thread-like, pubescent. Leaves oval to ovate, up to 1 cm long, 5 mm broad, margin toothed to wavy, surfaces white pubescent. Pedicel c. 0.5 mm long. Calyx teeth about half the length of the corolla. Corolla blue, hairy outside; style exserted. Capsule rounded at the base.
 The highlighted features don't agree with Prashant's flowers. In Prashant's flowers the sepals are smaller, and the style is not protruding out. In Campanula argyrotricha the sepals are indeed half as long as the flowers, as can be seen in the attached herbarium images (from GBIF).
  I have also attached the drawing of Campanula cashmeriana from FoP and a herbarium image from GBIF. Looking at these it appears that many images of Campanula cashmeriana that appear in Google search may not be correct. Prashant's flowers do appear to agree with the sketch of Campanula cashmeriana at FoP.
   Best wishes
   Tabish
www.flowersofindia.net
The waterhole of flower lovers

tmp1.jpg
tmp2.jpg
Campanula_cach.jpg
Campanula_cashmeriana.jpg

Saroj Kasaju

Jan 13, 2021, 11:12:09 AM1/13/21
to Tabish, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Prashant awale
Many images of C.cashmeriana in net and also images from efi looks different.
I guess  efi image needs a review.
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Tabish

Jan 13, 2021, 11:45:53 AM1/13/21
to Saroj Kasaju, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Prashant awale
I must add that flowers of the herbaria of cultivated C.cashmeriana (at GBIF) look quite different from the sketch at FoP, flowers of the herbaria collected from Himalaya (at GBIF) and also from the flowers at the herbarium image at POWO. So I am a bit puzzled.
   Tabish
www.flowersofindia.net
The waterhole of flower lovers

J.M. Garg

Jan 20, 2021, 2:16:08 AM1/20/21
to Tabish, Saroj Kasaju, efloraofindia, Prashant awale, D.S Rawat
Illustrations in general in Flora of Pakistan are not properly made compared to those at Flora of China.
Flora of Pakistan says about Campanula argyrotricha Wall. ex DC. "Not a common plant in our area; more so near Simla and areas around it".
In herbarium specimens in GBIF- specimen 1 and specimen 2 (only two specimens available being rare) and I see opened corolla scantily in one specimen and I think it matches with Prashant ji's image.
Pl. see the correct image as attached from authentic flora from Uttarakhand (by BSI people, Dr P.K. Pusalkar & D.K. Singh) depicting and describing C. argyrotricha

On the other hand, Campanula cashmeriana Royle is widely distributed and highly variable as per Flora of Pakistan and shape of the corolla looks different as per images at Campanula cashmeriana and matches as per GBIFspecimens 1 and specimen 2
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Jan 26, 2021, 3:19:02 AM1/26/21
to Tabish, Saroj Kasaju, efloraofindia, Prashant awale, D.S Rawat
Hi, Tabish ji,
Needs correction in FOI.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Tabish

Feb 14, 2021, 10:42:27 AM2/14/21
to J.M. Garg, Saroj Kasaju, efloraofindia, Prashant awale, D.S Rawat
Sorry Garg ji,
  I had been busy, and did not get time to update myself with the efi conversations. As I said in my earlier reply, two important features of Campanula argyrotricha from the description at Flora of Pakistan
 Calyx teeth about half the length of the corolla. Corolla blue, hairy outside; style exserted.
do not agree with the specimens of Campanula argyrotricha at eFI. I am not certain about Prashant's plant at FOI being Campanula cashmeriana  but don't find a better agreement with anything else, as of now.