Re: [efloraofindia:0] Nandina domestica from Kashmir

tanay bose

Jul 31, 2010, 11:23:53 PM7/31/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Flowers of India

Dear Sir ji,

The whole plant of Nandina domestica is highly toxic and known to possess Hydrocyanic acids. It also harbours within itself an alkaloid known as “Nantenine” which is used as antidote for 3,4-Methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA, Ecstasy). The most amazing part is that birds are not affected by the toxin present in the plant and use it as their food and hence regarded as seed dispersal agent.

Regards

Tanay

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 8:29 AM, Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com> wrote:
Nandina domestica from Kashmir, I think the similar plant I had photographed from California USA and identified by Kenneth.This one was photographed from newly developed Hazuribagh garden in Srinagar. Kenneth I will need your confirmation on this again.
Ornamental as well as medicinal plant of folklore.

Common names: Heavenly bamboo, Nandina, Sacred bamboo, Southern Heavenly bamboo

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Kenneth Greby

Jul 31, 2010, 11:42:03 PM7/31/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Indeed, this is Nandina domestica (wild/species). Many cultivars with varying leaf shapes and colors, as well as compact forms, exist in the landscape trade here in the US.

Regards--
Ken.

Jul 31, 2010, 10:59:33 PM7/31/10
to efloraofindia, Flowers of India