ID request-310710-PKA1

1 view

Prashant awale

Jul 31, 2010, 11:48:47 AM7/31/10

Date/Time: 31-07-2010 / 09:00AM

Jul 31, 2010, 11:51:58 AM7/31/10

Jul 31, 2010, 11:57:38 AM7/31/10

Plant Habit-  unknown

Height/Length-  5'6"

weight 78kg.

 Colour  brown

Photographer  prashant awale

360.gif

mani nair

Jul 31, 2010, 12:18:02 PM7/31/10
to ajinkya gadave, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Prashant ji,   it seems to be Euphorbia antiquarum, seen planted on the farm hedges.

Regards,

Mani.
360.gif

ajinkya gadave

Jul 31, 2010, 12:27:45 PM7/31/10
to mani nair, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
i think this is Dineshania valkensis
360.gif

mani nair

Jul 31, 2010, 12:45:52 PM7/31/10
to ajinkya gadave, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Yes, I also think it is Dineshania valkensis, but its back is only visible. front is not very clear!!

Regards,

Mani.
360.gif

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 31, 2010, 12:48:34 PM7/31/10
to ajinkya gadave, mani nair, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Ajinkya ji
Unless it is a place if you are honoring valke ji it has to be valkei or valkiana

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

tanay bose

Jul 31, 2010, 1:38:30 PM7/31/10
to Gurcharan Singh, ajinkya gadave, mani nair, Prashant awale, indiantreepix

Dineshania valkiana (A.J Gad.) Singh 2010
Family : Homosapienaceae

Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

360.gif

Pankaj Oudhia

Jul 31, 2010, 2:05:46 PM7/31/10
to efloraofindia
And I can bet that wild boars are present in the region. Am I right Prashant ji?

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 9:48 PM, mani nair <mani....@gmail.com> wrote:
360.gif

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 31, 2010, 2:11:11 PM7/31/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
hehehehhe......just that I thought that the picture he is taking is an Orchid, may be some Habenaria !!! is it?
Pankaj
360.gif

Pankaj Oudhia

Jul 31, 2010, 2:21:51 PM7/31/10
to efloraofindia
Just to add. Farmers of my region have tried this Euphorbia to keep wild boars at bay but we have found that instead of using it alone, mixture of different spiny shrubs is better option.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia
360.gif

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 31, 2010, 10:28:57 PM7/31/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Tanay,
The author of the species is Ajinkya ji and not me. I only suggested an orthographic change.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

360.gif

tanay bose

Jul 31, 2010, 11:12:25 PM7/31/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Oks Sir Ji!!
So the The full credit to Arvind ji

Tanay
360.gif

Dinesh Valke

Aug 1, 2010, 12:45:16 PM8/1/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia, Tabish Qureshi
Pankaj Oudhia ji, ... yes ... good possibility of wild boars being there.

Ajinkya, many thanks for Latinized form of my name ... well assisted by Gurcharan ji !!!
Thanks Tanay for adding spice.

Pankaj Kumar ji ... this was moment of shwetambari ... Thalictrum dalzellii ... but yes, there were ground orchids some metres away -- Dipcadi and Habenaria.

So much thanks, dear Prashant, for the moment trapped, ... and feels good there are some lighter moments shared.

Regards.

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 7:58 AM, Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com> wrote:
360.gif

tanay bose

Aug 1, 2010, 11:14:51 PM8/1/10
to Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia, Tabish Qureshi
I am always spicy Dinesh Ji!!
Tanay
360.gif

shubhada nikharge

Aug 2, 2010, 4:30:11 AM8/2/10
to ajinkya gadave, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Ajinkya ji and prashant ji,
If this species is occasionally found in Pune, often seen in Goregaon (except on week ends) and originally from Thane, then i think it should be Dineshania valkensis.
Cheers,
Shubhada

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

Aug 2, 2010, 5:58:04 AM8/2/10
to shubhada nikharge, ajinkya gadave, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Shubada ji
It has been established as Dineshania valkiana and not Dineshania valkensis.