ID(dkb-6)

Devendra Bhardwaj

Dec 5, 2009, 9:44:43 AM12/5/09
to indiantreepix

Name of species- ID(dkb-6)

Photo taken on- 30.8.2009

At- Viratnagar(Jaipur)

Regards,

Devendra Bhardwaj

dkb6.jpg
dkb6-1.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 5, 2009, 10:10:15 AM12/5/09
to Devendra Bhardwaj, indiantreepix
Phyllanthus fraternus please

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Vijayasankar Raman

Dec 7, 2009, 12:48:52 AM12/7/09
to Gurcharan Singh, Devendra Bhardwaj, indiantreepix
Dear Gurcharan ji,

As you know, this is another interesting but complicated (nomenclature wise) genus. The current name for this plant is P. kozhikodianus, if i am correct. The leaves are broad, glaucous beneath and the tepals are broadly scarious along margins.

--
With regards

R. Vijayasankar
FRLHT, Bangalore

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 7, 2009, 4:08:28 AM12/7/09
to Vijayasankar Raman, Devendra Bhardwaj, indiantreepix
Vijayasankar ji
Thanks for this new information. We were already confused about whether P. fraternus and P. amarus are distinct (if we follow GRIN) or single species under P. amarus (if we follow Kew World checklist). You have introduced another closely related species. Would you kindly list its differences from the other two species.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Stephen A

Dec 7, 2009, 4:29:55 AM12/7/09
to Gurcharan Singh, Vijayasankar Raman, Devendra Bhardwaj, indiantreepix
Adding some articles on P. kozhikodensis.

Regards,

Stephen....
Think about the Environment before printing this e-mail! ü
+----------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------+
Think B4U Print
1 ream of paper = 6% of a tree and 5.4kg CO2 in the atmosphere
3 sheets of A4 paper = 1 litre of water
+----------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------+
"Lets Protect What We Enjoy"
"When the last tree is cut n the last river is poisoned, man will realize that s/he cannot eat her/his money"
If you're never scared or embarrassed or hurt, it means you never take
any chances - Anonymous
Phyllanthus_Kozhi.pdf
Phyllanthus_Kozhi_Tamil.pdf
Phyllanthus_Kozhi_Tamil_Sup.pdf
Phyllanthus_Kozhi_AP.pdf
Phyllanthus_Kozhi_AP_Sup.pdf

Vijayasankar Raman

Dec 7, 2009, 4:57:36 AM12/7/09
to Gurcharan Singh, Devendra Bhardwaj, indiantreepix
Thanks a lot Stephen ji, for the very useful & complete articles on Phyllanthus kozhikodianus. If possible, pl. also send us the recent work on herbaceous phyllanthus complex by R.R.Rao & al. published in 'Phytotaxonomy'. Here, the authors have tried to clarify the confusions existed in the nomenclature/identification of certain species of Phyllanthus.

Dear Gurcharan ji, at FRLHT, we produce series of educational products including posters on various themes, one among them is Phyllanthus complex. In this poster (attached here, can't help with the file size to maintain readability) we have provided pictures of common herbaceous Phyllanthus species and key characters to distinguish them. Hope this will be useful.
Phyllanthus complex_FRLHT.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 7, 2009, 7:08:22 AM12/7/09
to Vijayasankar Raman, Devendra Bhardwaj, indiantreepix
Thanks Vijayasankar ji for this excellent poster
This makes us wake up to re-examin our specimens we conveniently refer to P. fraternus (if perianth are 6) or P. amarus (if perianth are five). P. amarus is not common in Delhi atleast. Observing more critically I found large oval leaved plants in May June but much narrower and smaller leaved in September-October, growing at the same place. I thought them to be seasonal affect on P. fraternus. Now I feel, seeing your images, that after all our plant may not be P. fraternus, and plant growing in September-October may turn out to be different species. I will examine these critically and report back soon.