Donax canniformis from Andaman Islands

Ritesh Kumar Choudhary

Jun 5, 2010, 2:31:21 AM6/5/10
to efloraofindia
Dear all,
Pl find two fotos of Donax cannifrmis (G. Forst.) K. Schum. from Andaman Islands.

Syn: Actoplanes cannaeformis (G. Forst.) K. Schum.

Date/Time- December, 2009.

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS- On way to Diglipur, N. Andaman.

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type- Wild

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb- Shrubs upto 3 m migh.

Height/Length- upto 3 m high.

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size- Ovate

Inflorescence Type/ Size- Not seen

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

Other Information like Fragrance, Pollinator, Uses etc.-* * The decoction of stem and leaf is taken orally by shompen tribes to cure fever.

Regards,
Ritesh.
--
A. cannaeformis2.jpg
Actoplanes cannaeformis1.jpg

Ritesh Choudhary

Jun 5, 2010, 3:14:51 AM6/5/10
to efloraofindia
One correction please!

Decoction of "Root" (not leaf) and stem is taken to cure fever by
shompen tribes. (ref.:Sharief & Rao, 2007. Current Science 93 (11) :
1623-1628).

Local name: Amokyoan

Family: Marantaceae.

Regards,
Ritesh.

On Jun 5, 11:31 am, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary <ritesh....@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Dear all,
> Pl find two fotos of Donax cannifrmis (G. Forst.) K. Schum. from Andaman
> Islands.
>
> Syn: Actoplanes cannaeformis (G. Forst.) K. Schum.
>
> Date/Time- December, 2009.
>
> Location- Place, Altitude, GPS- On way to Diglipur, N. Andaman.
>
> Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type- Wild
>
> Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb- Shrubs upto 3 m migh.
>
> Height/Length- upto 3 m high.
>
> Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size- Ovate
>
> Inflorescence Type/ Size- Not seen
>
> Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-
>
> Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-
>
> Other Information like Fragrance, Pollinator, Uses etc.-* * *The decoction
> of stem and leaf is taken orally by shompen tribes to cure fever.*
> Regards,
> Ritesh.
> --
>
>  A. cannaeformis2.jpg
> 242KViewDownload
>
>  Actoplanes cannaeformis1.jpg
> 194KViewDownload

R. Vijayasankar

Jun 5, 2010, 3:25:24 AM6/5/10
to Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
Interesting plant! and useful information. Thanks Ritesh ji for sharing. Is it a native plant?

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

Ritesh Kumar Choudhary

Jun 5, 2010, 3:32:59 AM6/5/10
to R. Vijayasankar, efloraofindia
Thanx Vijayji, (Hope u wont mind cutting short ur name).

The plant is also reported from China and I dont think it as a native plant. But its very common and distributed throughout the North, Middle and South Andamans.

Regards,
Ritesh.

--
"It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure." -- Albert Einstein

Prashant awale

Jun 5, 2010, 9:12:28 AM6/5/10
to Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, efloraofindia
Thanks Ritesh ji for sharing info and photos. Good to see posting from Andamans..
regards
Prashant

tanay bose

Jun 5, 2010, 9:49:44 AM6/5/10
to Prashant awale, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, efloraofindia
Really interesting information Ritesh Ji!!
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)