Strange type of Acacia nilotica, Delhi (010509YS(5-7)

Sangeeta Swami

May 1, 2009, 10:19:10 AM5/1/09
to Indiantreepix, Devendra Bhardwaj
I have no doubt that this is a babul tree (Acacia nilotica), Delhi, today.

But what has it got this kind of tall and pagoda like shape.

In Jaipur area, this is known as "Surya Babul", if I am not mistaken.

Comments from experts welcome.

Sangeeta
YS2b.jpg
YS2a.jpg
YS2c.jpg

Sangeeta Swami

May 1, 2009, 11:20:23 AM5/1/09
to Chitra Shanker, Indiantreepix
Thank you Chitra ji for identifying this tree as Acacia nilotica var cupressiformis.

I searched the net, though hardly any pix, but this information was available:

Thanks again,
Sangeeta

On 5/1/09, Chitra Shanker <chitra...@gmail.com> wrote:
THis is Acacia nilotica var cupressiformis
Chitra

J.M. Garg

May 1, 2009, 1:16:01 PM5/1/09
to Sangeeta Swami, Chitra Shanker, Indiantreepix
Thanks, Chitra ji.
Trees of Delhi states it (i.e. Acacia nilotica subsp. cupressiformis) as "with steeply ascending branches like a cypress or Kashmir poplar"

2009/5/1 Sangeeta Swami <yash.s...@gmail.com>

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Yazdy Palia

May 1, 2009, 3:03:37 PM5/1/09
to Sangeeta Swami, Chitra Shanker, Indiantreepix
Dear Friends,
I thought Babul has a lot of thorns. From the two pictures, are any
thorns or spikes visible?
Regards
Yazdy Palia.

J.M. Garg

May 1, 2009, 10:41:52 PM5/1/09
to Yazdy Palia, Sangeeta Swami, Chitra Shanker, Indiantreepix
Hi, Yazdy ji,
You can clearly see them in the last picture.

Yazdy Palia

May 2, 2009, 1:13:57 AM5/2/09
to J.M. Garg, Sangeeta Swami, Chitra Shanker, Indiantreepix
Dear Garg ji,
Many thanks. It was quite late last night and I must have missed out
the last picture.
Regards
Yazdy.

Dinesh Valke

May 2, 2009, 2:02:11 AM5/2/09
to Yazdy Palia, J.M. Garg, Sangeeta Swami, Chitra Shanker, Indiantreepix
... Acacia nilotica subsp. tomentosa ... this subspecies is much more elegant than common Arabian Acacia, the mature trees commonly without thorns, grow as high as 20m with a grand dense spherical canopy, resembling the tamarind tree. I have seen such large trees along Wai - Panchgani Road.
Regards.

J.M. Garg

May 2, 2009, 7:31:58 AM5/2/09
to Sangeeta Swami, Chitra Shanker, Indiantreepix
Here is a reply from Chitra ji:
"Actually it is a tree considered for agroforestry. I used to work in agroforestry earlier.
Chitra"

J.M. Garg

May 2, 2009, 7:33:55 AM5/2/09
to Dinesh Valke, Yazdy Palia, Sangeeta Swami, Chitra Shanker, Indiantreepix
Hi, Dinesh ji,
But Trees of Delhi only mentions three subspecies of Acacia nilotica found in India- i.e. indica, vediana & cupressiformis.

Dinesh Valke

May 2, 2009, 4:23:17 PM5/2/09
to J.M. Garg, Yazdy Palia, Sangeeta Swami, Chitra Shanker, Indiantreepix
Garg ji, Suresh ji,

Now when I read my earlier message in this thread, I think I have messed up.
The ID of Sangeeta ji's plant is Acacia nilotica ssp. cupressiformis as Chitra ji has commented.

To clarify my thoughts and expression: ... I wanted to assert that there is one sub species of A. nilotica which has almost no thorns, and that is ssp. tomentosa.
I am sure there is lot of research and substance in Pradeep ji's Trees of Delhi.

I am going by findings on internet ...

For instance, these links:
2) http://iscmumbai.maharashtra.gov.in/floristic%20survey.html ... requires several minutes to download ... read # 306

It is better I stand corrected; at present I am not strong about my views of A. nilotica ssp. tomentosa.
Few views of what I consider to be A. nilotica ssp. tomentosa:

J.M. Garg

May 3, 2009, 4:13:50 AM5/3/09
to Dinesh Valke, Yazdy Palia, Sangeeta Swami, Chitra Shanker, Indiantreepix
Pradeep Krishen says:
"2 other subspecies were until recently regarded as varieties but have now been 'promoted'- one is the kauria or vedi babool (scientifically: Acacia nilotica subsp. vediana) which is short & crooked, with a more spreading crown of interlacing branches. Its bark is also rougher and more fissured. It is found mostly in the Deccan."