Cyclea peltata

Pravin Kawale

Mar 6, 2010, 2:03:50 AM3/6/10
to efloraofindia
Hi,

Cyclea peltata .
Family : Menispermaceae
Location : Kanakeshwar,Alibag MS
Date/Time : 5 Mar,2010 9.30 am
Habit : Herb
Habitat : Evergreen forests
Description :
A common twinner on hedges and bushes. Male flowers in axillary
panicles, female flowers in axillary racemes.
Leaf Shape : Acute or acuminate
Leaf Surface : Pubescent
Inflorescence: Panicle
Flower Type : Pubescent
Corolla : Cyathiform
Ovary : Pubescent
Flowering Month: January
Fruit : Drupe, Pilose
Fruit Colour : White
Regards
Pravin

DSC02542.JPG
DSC02547.JPG
DSC01382-1.JPG
DSC02617.JPG
DSC02618.JPG
DSC02619.JPG

DSC02542.JPG
DSC02547.JPG
DSC01382-1.JPG
DSC02617.JPG
DSC02618.JPG
DSC02619.JPG

tanay bose

Mar 6, 2010, 2:13:16 AM3/6/10
to Pravin Kawale, efloraofindia
Hi Pravin Ji,
thanks for sharing the photo and informations about this plant. this plant indeed has a stunning leaf morphology and inflorescence.

Regards
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

Dinesh Valke

Jul 2, 2010, 11:38:32 AM7/2/10
to tanay bose, Pravin Kawale, efloraofindia
Pravin ji, the male flowers seen in DSC01382-1.JPG match description of C. burmannii.
While in C. peltata the male flowers form a sort of clustered head, and the calyx is separated almost to the base ... this can be seen in Prashant's post at http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/fd943d1951c5d8f2?hl=en.

Reference: The Flora of the Presidency of Bombay (1903) by Theodore Cooke, Vol. I, Part I
... http://www.archive.org/stream/floraofpresidenc01cook#page/22/mode/2up/search/Cyclea

Do please clarify if the photos attached belong to different plants AND different dates.

Regards.

Neil Soares

Jul 2, 2010, 1:43:03 PM7/2/10
to tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, Pravin Kawale, efloraofindia
Hi,
  My photographs of the male flowers of Cyclea burmanni. These were identified by Dr.Almeida on a visit to my farm.
                      With regards,
                        Neil Soares.

--- On Fri, 7/2/10, Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
Male flowers of Cyclea burmanni 1.jpg
Male flowers of Cyclea burmanni 2.jpg

Tabish

Jul 2, 2010, 3:11:54 PM7/2/10
to efloraofindia
The fruits of Cyclea peltata are ovoid drupes, brown or scarlet in
color.
The fruits of Cyclea burmanni are white drupes.
In Cyclea burmanni, female inflorescence is a raceme about as long as
the leaf-stalk.
Everything points to this plant being Cyclea burmanni.
- Tabish

On Jul 2, 10:43 pm, Neil Soares <drneilsoa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>   My photographs of the male flowers of Cyclea burmanni. These were identified by Dr.Almeida on a visit to my farm.
>                       With regards,
>                         Neil Soares.

Neil Soares

Jul 3, 2010, 1:33:51 AM7/3/10
to efloraofindia
Hi,
 My photographs of the female flowers and fruit of Cyclea burmanni. The photographs were taken at my farm at Shahapur
                       With regards,
                         Neil Soares.

--- On Sat, 7/3/10, Tabish <tab...@gmail.com> wrote:

> --
> Tanay Bose
> +91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
> 9830439691(Mobile)
> 9674221362 (Mobile)
>
> --
>
>  Male flowers of Cyclea burmanni 1.jpg
> 123KViewDownload
>
>  Male flowers of Cyclea burmanni 2.jpg
> 96KViewDownload

Female flowers of Cyclea burmanni 1.jpg
Female flowers of Cyclea burmanni 2.jpg
Cyclea burmanni fruit 1.jpg
Cyclea burmanni fruit 2.jpg
Cyclea burmanni fruit 3.jpg

Swagat

Jul 3, 2010, 3:13:47 AM7/3/10
to Neil Soares, tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, Pravin Kawale, efloraofindia
Dear all,

'Cyclea burmanni' is called 'Thorali Paadavall' 'थोरली पाडावळ' in Marathi.
and...
'Cyclea peltata' is called 'Dhaakati Paadavall' 'धाकटी पाडावळ' in Marathi.

Regards,

~Swagat
9223217568 / 9422317979

Dinesh Valke

Jul 3, 2010, 11:24:15 AM7/3/10
to Swagat, Neil Soares, tanay bose, Pravin Kawale, efloraofindia
Dear Swagat,

Both these species of Cyclea would perhaps share the names in regional languages (my feeling).
'धाकटी पाडावळ dhaakati paadavall in Marathi is apt for Cissampelos pareira ... just as it is called as लघु पाठा laghu patha in Sanskrit

Please refer earlier post http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/3ccf14789a3a6d8e?hl=en
You have put names for C. peltata.

Regards.

J.M. Garg

Jul 10, 2010, 1:00:26 AM7/10/10
to efloraofindia, Pravin Kawale, tanay bose, Dinesh Valke

Earlier relevant feedback:

“Pravin ji, the male flowers seen in DSC01382-1.JPG match description of C. burmannii.

While in C. peltata the male flowers form a sort of clustered head, and the calyx is separated almost to the base ... this can be seen in Prashant's post at http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/fd943d1951c5d8f2?hl=en.

Reference: The Flora of the Presidency of Bombay (1903) by Theodore Cooke, Vol. I, Part I
... http://www.archive.org/stream/floraofpresidenc01cook#page/22/mode/2up/search/Cyclea

Do please clarify if the photos attached belong to different plants AND different dates.” from Dinesh ji.

Aug 23, 2010, 11:12:27 PM8/23/10
to efloraofindia, Pravin Kawale, Dinesh Valke

Resurfacing again for Id confirmation or otherwise pl.

Earlier relevant feedback:

“Pravin ji, the male flowers seen in DSC01382-1.JPG match description of C. burmannii.

While in C. peltata the male flowers form a sort of clustered head, and the calyx is separated almost to the base ... this can be seen in Prashant's post at http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/fd943d1951c5d8f2?hl=en.

Reference: The Flora of the Presidency of Bombay (1903) by Theodore Cooke, Vol. I, Part I
... http://www.archive.org/stream/floraofpresidenc01cook#page/22/mode/2up/search/Cyclea

Do please clarify if the photos attached belong to different plants AND different dates.” from Dinesh ji.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor