Plant for ID - Elagiri hills-3

Sid

Aug 4, 2010, 11:57:40 PM8/4/10
to efloraofindia
Dear Friends,

Another plant for id

Location : Elagiri hills - Tamilnadu
Elevation : 1500 m
Habitat : Garden

3a.jpg
3b.jpg
3c.jpg

L. Rasingam

Aug 5, 2010, 12:06:27 AM8/5/10
to Sid, efloraofindia
This is

Martynia annua

(Pedaliaceae)
Regards
L.Rasingam
--
Keystone Foundation,
Kotagiri,
The Nilgiris.

Narendra Joshi

Aug 5, 2010, 12:54:14 AM8/5/10
to Sid, Indiantrees
The flowers look like that of Devil's Claw - (Common name), Martynia annua, Vinchavi - (Marathi)

With Regards,

Narendra Joshi

Dhaiti - Fire Bush - woodfordia fruiticosa.JPG

Muthu Karthick

Aug 5, 2010, 2:04:46 AM8/5/10
to Narendra Joshi, Sid, Indiantrees
Yes,
This is Martynia annua L. of Martyniaceae.
The plant is a single representative of this particular family in Tamil Nadu landscape.
This shrub is a native of Tropical America, naturalized in India.
Tamil name: Puli nagam (claw of tiger); Thael Kodukku
--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow

tanay bose

Aug 5, 2010, 3:39:46 AM8/5/10
to Muthu Karthick, Narendra Joshi, Sid, Indiantrees
 Martynia annua,  sure !!
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Vijayadas D

Aug 6, 2010, 1:08:57 PM8/6/10
to tanay bose, Muthu Karthick, Narendra Joshi, Sid, Indiantrees
Nice plant . Once I found this plant at Kovalam sea shore.
--
Vijayadas D
Horticulturist EstateSupervisorDeputy

Pankaj Oudhia

Aug 6, 2010, 2:18:52 PM8/6/10
to efloraofindia
Minor correction Joshi ji. Not its flowers but its fruits look like Devil's claw. Please see this picture.

http://ecoport.org/ep?SearchType=pdb&PdbID=97819

In my region it is known as Bagnakha means Nails of Bagh, the Tiger.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia