Dinetus malabarica-for validation

Satish Nikam

Nov 2, 2021, 11:34:01 PM11/2/21
to Indiantrees Pics
Friends
Happy Diwali!
To me it differs from D.racemosa which I had photographed earlier especially the petals which are very pointed.
Regards
Satish Nikam
IMG_0210.JPG
IMG_0209.JPG
IMG_0211.JPG
IMG_0208.JPG

Mahadeswara

Nov 3, 2021, 7:40:43 AM11/3/21
to efloraofindia
ID is correct .

satish...@yahoo.com

Nov 4, 2021, 6:21:25 AM11/4/21
to efloraofindia
Thanks Mahadeswara ji.
Satish Nikam

J.M. Garg

Nov 12, 2021, 2:41:21 AM11/12/21
to efloraofindia, Satish Nikam, M Swamy, Saroj Kasaju, DineshValke, ushaprabha page, Sushant More, Adittya Dharap, Satish Phadke
BSI Flora checklist only gives
Dinetus racemosus (Roxb.) Buch.-Ham. ex Sweet, Brit. Fl. Gard. 2: t. 127. 1825.
Porana racemosa Roxb., Fl. Ind. 2: 41. 1824.
Porana malabarica C.B. Clarke in Hook.f., Fl. Brit. India 4: 223. 1883.

However, POWO and CoL list them separately as per
POWO1, POWO 2, CoL1, CoL2

I tried to find out the difference between the two.
Could get it on net only in Flora of British India from IBIS Flora:
Porana racemosa Roxb.:

Roxb. Hort. Beng. 13, and Fl. Ind. i. 466, and ed. Carey & Wall. ii. 41 ; puberulous or nearly glabrous, leaves ovate deeply cordate acute, racemes compound dichotomous, bracts at the forks large cordate persistent, capsule 1/5 in. ellipsoid longer than broad, fruiting-sepals equal 1/3-1/2 by 1/8 in. Jacq. f. Ecl. ii. t. 165 ; Wall. Cat. 1326 ; Don Prodr. 98. ; Wight Ill. t. 168 bis, fig. 9, and Ic. t. 1376 ; Chois. Convolv. Or. 107, and in DC. Prodr. ix. 435. ; Dalz. & Gibs. Bomb. Fl. 162 ? ; Kurz in Trimen Journ. Bot. 1873, 137. Dinetus racemosus, Sweet Brit. Fl. Gard. t. 127.

SUBTROPICAL HIMALAYA alt. 2-6000 ft., common ; from the North-west (Royle) to BHOTAN. KHASIA to MARTABAN ; alt. 2-6000 ft., common. DECCAN PENINSULA ?

Forming dense, not lofty, masses. Leaves 2-3 by 1.1/2 in. ; petiole 3/4 in. Racemes lax ; bracts at the forks leafy, sessile, scarious in fruit ; those at the pedicels 1/6 in., linear. Sepals in flower 1/8 in., linear-oblong, puberulous. Corolla 1/3-1/2 in., lobed nearly half-way, white. Style linear ; stigmas 2, short, oblong. Capsule apiculate, glabrous ; fruiting sepals oblong-spathulate, with 3-5 strong longitudinal nerves.— The “ Snow-creeper ” of the English, one of the most beautiful of Indian plants, the masses of dazzling white flowers resembling snow-patches in the jungle. It is doubtful whether this plant is found wild in the Deccan; Wight’s figure represents it, but the fruit in his herbarium was sent to him from N. India. There is no example from the Deccan, all Dalzell’s

Porana malabarica C.B.Clarke (FBI):

Clarke ; nearly glabrous, leaves ovate deeply cordate acute, racemes compound dichotomous, bracts at the forks large cordate persistent, capsule 1/4 in. obovoid, fruit-sepals equal attaining 1 by 1/2 in. elliptic. P. racemosa, Dalz. & Gibs. Bomb. Fl. 162.—Porana n. 3, Herb. Ind. Or. H. F. & T.

WEST DECCAN PENINSULA ; Bombay, Dalzell ; Malabar and Concan, Stocks, Law ; Canara and Mysore, Law, &c.

Closely allied to P. racemosa. Fruiting-sepals sometimes only 2/3 by 1/3 in., but always differing widely from the much smaller narrow one of P. racemosa.

Porana malabarica C.B.Clarke (The Flora of the Bombay Presidency):

C.B.Clarke, in Hook. f. Fl. B. I. v. 4 (1883) p. 223. An extensive climber ; stems and branches slender, glabrous or nearly so. Leaves 2.1/2-5 by 1.1/2-4.1/2 in., ovate, deeply cordate, acuminate, very acute, thin, with a few scattered hairs above, glabrous or nearly so and reticulately veined beneath ; petioles 1/2-3 in. long, slender, glabrous or nearly so. Flowers white, in lax racemes or panicles ; bracts at the forks large, leafy, cordate, persistent, those of the pedicels smaller upwards, the uppermost linear ; pedicels slender, 1/4-1/3 in. long. Sepals 1/8-1/6 in. long, more or less pubescent, narrowly ovate-oblong, subacute when in flower, all much and almost equally enlarged up to 3/4 by 3/8 in. or even more when in fruit, often tinged with pink, glabrous, persistent, strongly nerved and reticulately veined between the nerves. Corolla rather more than 1/2 in. long, divided about 1/2-way down into 5 ovate acute lobes. Stigma shortly 2-lobed. Capsules 3/8 in. long, subcylindric, scarious, slightly depressed at the apex round a raised somewhat pyramidal centre. Seed 1/4 in. long, oblong, reddish-brown, glabrous. Woodr. in Journ. Bomb. Nat. v. 12 (1898) p. 172 ; Peter, in Eugl. & Prantl, Pflanzenf, v. 4, 3 A, p. 24, fig. 11,C ; Watt, Dict. Econ. Prod. v. 6, part 1, p. 328. Porana racemosa, Grah. Cat. p. 133 (not of Roxb.) ; Dalz. & Gibs. p. 162.—Flowers ; Oct. Vern. Bhauri.

KONKAN : Stocks !, Law ! ; Matheran, H. M. Birdwood. Deccan : Parghat, Dalzell ! ; Mahableshwar, Cooke !, H. M. Birdwood ; Panchgani, Woodrow !—Distrib. India (W. Peninsula).

I looked at the images in our site, and I find it really difficult to segregate them as the difference is mainly based on fruit sepals.
However, for the time being we can keep our wild images from S.India as Porana malabarica.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

Dinesh Valke

Nov 12, 2021, 10:08:05 AM11/12/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Satish Nikam, M Swamy, Saroj Kasaju, ushaprabha page, Sushant More, Adittya Dharap, Satish Phadke
Thanks Garg ji.
Regards.
Dinesh