[efloraofindia:33541] Catunaregam spinosa-290410-PKA1

Prashant awale

Apr 29, 2010, 11:22:39 AM4/29/10
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,
Came across this Tree at Nagpur. Branches were having straight spines.

Bot. name: Catunaregam spinosa
Family: Rubiaceae
Date/Time: 28-04-2010 / 07:25AM
Location: Near Gorewada Dam, Nagpur
Habitat- Wild
Plant Habit: Tree
Flowers: Fresh one were white and older one were Yellow and Orange

regards
Prashant

DSC00130.JPG
DSC00205.JPG
DSC00128.JPG
DSC00134.JPG

tanay bose

Apr 29, 2010, 11:27:08 AM4/29/10
to Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Great to see a new plant and also such a variation in the flower color due to age of it..
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Parjanya guru

Apr 29, 2010, 11:29:54 AM4/29/10
to tanay bose, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Tanay jee and All..
.. you know.?
.. The color change is an indication that pollination is over already.
 Just to warn the next pollinator- You dont have anything to do..!!
:)

--
  With regards,
  Parjanya Guru

tanay bose

Apr 29, 2010, 11:31:10 AM4/29/10
to Parjanya guru, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Great information Parjanya Ji this is new to me thanks for updating my knowledge
Tanay

Alok Goyal

Apr 30, 2010, 12:59:57 AM4/30/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hallo all

here is an interesting fact about Catunaregam spinosa. the plant is a favourite of a bird named Shrike.

Shrikes are small birds from the Laniidae, which is Latin for "butchers".  These are also known as "butcher-birds" and "thornbirds".  There are 31 species broken into 3 genera. Typically small birds, the various Shrikes have small hooked bills and banded faces.   Although these birds eat similar food to hawks and falcons, Shrikes cannot kill their prey with talons, as Falconiformes birds do.  To compensate, shrikes manipulate their heavy bills, to stun and then impale their prey upon thorn bushes and trees, and even barbed wire.  Shrikes sometimes eat their prey while it is impaled and still alive, while other times leave their prey impaled as storage for later consumption.  Their prey consists of insects, worms, small mammals, and birds. please see two attached photos (source of photos is internet).

Alok

Shrike Kill.jpg
Shrike_prey_lizard.jpg

Parjanya guru

Apr 30, 2010, 1:05:28 AM4/30/10
to Alok Goyal, indian...@googlegroups.com
.. good stuff of Information Alok jee....
.. Please tag the reference  along....

  With regards,
  Parjanya Guru
+919738723392

tanay bose

Apr 30, 2010, 1:15:57 AM4/30/10
to Parjanya guru, Alok Goyal, indian...@googlegroups.com
Really a great set of amazing but interesting information .. Thanks for sharing
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Neil Soares

Apr 30, 2010, 4:06:09 AM4/30/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Alok Goyal
Hi Dr.Alok,
  Interesting information from the internet, but have never seen it happening with this tree. Have plenty of these trees on my property. Sending some of my photographs [including the last 2 which were taken by my friend Jayesh Timbadia and posted by me on this site last year].
                            With regards,
                              Neil Soares.

Apr 30, 2010, 8:21:26 AM4/30/10
to Alok Goyal, indian...@googlegroups.com
Shrike is therefore called as Khatic in Marathii
Madhuri