Konkan, May 2014 :: Requesting ID of this shrub :: 12JUN014 :: ARK-25

Alka Khare

Jun 11, 2014, 11:53:22 PM6/11/14
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hello friends

Requesting to please ID this shrub captured near Devgad, Maharashtra in May 2014.

Is it some Eranthemum species?

Thanks and Regards
Alka Khare

Eranthemum roseum_Padel4.JPG
Eranthemum roseum_Padel1.JPG
Eranthemum roseum_Padel2.JPG
Eranthemum roseum_Padel3.JPG

Alka Khare

Jun 16, 2014, 11:17:58 PM6/16/14
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Resurfacing for ID please...

Thanks and regards
Alka Khare

J.M. Garg

Jun 25, 2014, 1:04:41 AM6/25/14
to efloraofindia, Alka Khare

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2350 members & 1,90,000 messages on 31/5/14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 9500 species & 1,90,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

Eranthemum roseum_Padel4.JPG
Eranthemum roseum_Padel1.JPG
Eranthemum roseum_Padel2.JPG
Eranthemum roseum_Padel3.JPG

surajit koley

Jun 25, 2014, 9:14:18 PM6/25/14
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Alka Khare
Good morning

Though not clear yet white mark on bracts can be visible in the first and last pic. This directs to Eranthemum roseum (Vahl) R.Br.

Thanks n regards

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 25, 2014, 11:30:32 PM6/25/14
to surajit koley, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Alka Khare
I think Surajit ji is right, E. roseum, characterized by long (longer than 7 cm) narrower spikes, obovate mucronate bracts mottled green and white.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

J.M. Garg

Jun 26, 2014, 12:28:47 AM6/26/14
to efloraofindia

Jun 26, 2014, 12:42:54 AM6/26/14
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
I doubt if any species of Stachytarpheta has that large bracts.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

Alka Khare

Jun 26, 2014, 2:17:46 AM6/26/14
to indian...@googlegroups.com, jmg...@gmail.com
Thank you Surajit ji and Gurcharan ji...

However, I do not think that the bracts are white, rather they do not seem to have any white...but they are extremely hairy...am attaching a cropped pic of the bracts.

Based on the key provided by you and Shrikant ji (https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/indiantreepix/qY2NIN2SZZ8), could this be E. purpurascens or for that matter, E.capens?

Thanks and regards
Alka Khare

Eranthemum roseum_Padel1 - Copy.JPG

Shobha Halwe-Chavda

Jun 26, 2014, 5:56:27 AM6/26/14
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Alka Khare
Looks like Acanthaceae species.Eranthemum roseum ? ( दसमुळी ?)
Regards,
Shobha

surajit koley

Jun 26, 2014, 11:55:02 AM6/26/14
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thank you Sir.

Regards

Alka Khare

Aug 4, 2019, 12:05:53 AM8/4/19
to efloraofindia
Re-opening this thread.

When posted under the Acanthaceae fortnight here, the keys suggested E. pubescens.

Would appreciate expert opinion on whether this is E. pubescens or E. roseum.

Thanks and regards
Alka Khare

Thank you Sir.

Regards

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2350 members & 1,90,000 messages on 31/5/14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 9500 species & 1,90,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

J.M. Garg

Aug 4, 2019, 12:35:59 AM8/4/19
to efloraofindia, Alka
Aug 11, 2019, 3:28:48 AM8/11/19
to efloraofindia, Alka
Thanks, Alka ji,
I also think closer to Eranthemum pubescens Roth as per comparative images at Eranthemum

Aug 13, 2019, 3:51:43 AM8/13/19
to efloraofindia
Thank you Garg ji for validating.

Regards