Guazuma ulmifolia (Rudrasham) from Delhi

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 2, 2010, 10:22:00 AM6/2/10
to efloraofindia, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com
RUDRAKSHAM from Delhi
For fruits I have to be satisfied with Rudraksham, Guazuma ulmifolia Lam. from Delhi, planted and growing very commonly in Delhi along roadsides and parks.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Guazuma-ulmifolia-Delhi-1.jpg
Guazuma-ulmifolia-Delhi-2.jpg
Guazuma-ulmifolia-Delhi-3.jpg
Guazuma-ulmifolia-Delhi-4.jpg

tanay bose

Jun 2, 2010, 10:47:01 AM6/2/10
to bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com, efloraofindia
Thanks for posting this rare plant !! Nice photos Sir ji
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 2, 2010, 10:58:39 AM6/2/10
to bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com, efloraofindia
Thanks Tanay

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Jun 2, 2010, 10:12:18 PM6/2/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com
Does it become like Rudraksh after drying? Is it used to adulterate Rudraksh (Eliocarpus)? Is this tree the same as Bhadraksh?
ak

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 7:52 PM, Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com> wrote:

Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road
Gwalior. 474 005.
Tele: 0751-247 2233. Mobile 0 94253 09780.
My blogsite is at:
http://anandkbhatt.blogspot.com
(A new blogs has been added on 30 May 10.)
And the photo site:
www.flickr.com/photos/akbhatt/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ten most  common surnames of Indians: Singh, Kumar, Sharma, Patel, Shah, Lal, Gupta, Bhat, Rao, Reddy. Cheers!

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 2, 2010, 10:54:32 PM6/2/10
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, efloraofindia, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com
Anand ji
The fruits are somewhat similar looking to real Rudraksh (Elaeocarpus angustifolius) and it is no wonder it may be used for similar purpose. I could extract this information:

"Haridaasu (servant of Lord Hari/Vishnu)" is a special attraction of this festival, just like Santa for Christmas. These Haridaasus wake up very early in pre-dawn hours, bathe, wear special saffron clothes, and visit each home in the village. They wear Vaishnavite markings on the face, necklaces of rudraksha (probably seeds of Guazuma tomentosa plant) beads (www.vepachedu.org/manasanskriti/sankranti.htm.)

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

The fruit is woody and tubercled recalling that of our native
Rudraksh and can be used for making rosaries.

Devendra Bhardwaj

Jun 2, 2010, 11:09:25 PM6/2/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Anand Kumar Bhatt, efloraofindia, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com
Gurucharanji,
    In Rajasthan we call Bhadraksh.
Regard
Devendra

Jun 2, 2010, 11:48:05 PM6/2/10
to Devendra Bhardwaj, Anand Kumar Bhatt, efloraofindia, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Devendra ji for another name

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

formp...@yahoo.com

Jun 2, 2010, 11:48:16 PM6/2/10
to Devendra Bhardwaj, indian...@googlegroups.com, Gurcharan Singh, Anand Kumar Bhatt, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com
In Maharashtra Rurdraksh and Badraksh are two different trees. Rudraksh is superior to Bhadraksha. I will have to ask someone the genetic names and my father the difference in two. Bhadraksh is sold in market as Rudraksh many times to cheat people.
Rudraksh is used in puja, has the property of reducing BP, some other medicinal values too. The fruit shows five angles then called as panchaksh, if no angle ekaksh, which is rare. These angles are the hinges where the septifragle capsule (?) Opens. It is warn in garlands near the heart to get effect. Sizes differ a lot. Donot know about species and subspecies or varities.
Madhuri

Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

From: Devendra Bhardwaj <devendra...@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 08:39:25 +0530 (IST)
To: Gurcharan Singh<sing...@gmail.com>; Anand Kumar Bhatt<anand...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:36962] Guazuma ulmifolia (Rudrasham) from Delhi

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 3, 2010, 12:22:45 AM6/3/10
to formp...@yahoo.com, Devendra Bhardwaj, indian...@googlegroups.com, Anand Kumar Bhatt, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com
Formpejaver ji (it may not be your name but login ID)
The answer is clear

Rudraksh is Elaeocarpus angustifolius, advertised so commonly on TV
Badraksh is Guazuma ulmifolia, the poor substitute.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Madhuri Pejaver

Jun 3, 2010, 5:07:42 AM6/3/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Devendra Bhardwaj, indian...@googlegroups.com, Anand Kumar Bhatt, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sir
thank you very much. As I was out I was communicating on my blackberry, but had written at the end of mail my name.
Any way thank you sir for the information
Madhuri