Vilaiti Keekar (Prosopis juliflora)

J.M. Garg

Mar 29, 2009, 11:07:01 PM3/29/09
to indiantreepix
I found it to be a very much  part on saline water system along with other Mangrove species. It seems to have no problem as far as habitat is concerned.
In an island Krishna WS, A.P. on 28/2/09.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Vilaiti Keekar (Prosopis juliflora) I3 IMG_6935.jpg
Vilaiti Keekar (Prosopis juliflora) I IMG_6935.jpg
Vilaiti Keekar (Prosopis juliflora) I IMG_6936.jpg

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Mar 30, 2009, 6:25:11 AM3/30/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
But it is a weed, and a thoroughly useless tree.
akbhatt
--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

J.M. Garg

sibdas

Mar 30, 2009, 10:44:03 AM3/30/09
to indiantreepix
According to Charak `each and every plant has some specific use.`
Perhaps a plant which is considered a weed at present, may in future
turn as a source of an alkaloid or enzyme or a compound with high
medicinal value, or of commercial importance. Even it may contain a
specific gene (e.g.,weed resistance, pathogen resistance, weedicide
resistance, insect resistance etc. ) for use in transgenic plant or
even as a host for molecular farming. Apart from that this partcular
species- P. julifera- is one of the best tree chosen for afforestation
of shifting sand dunes. As a hedge plant it is an excellent wind
breaker. The fruits are used as fodder, wood used for furniture for
rural people, twigs as firewood. Its cousin P. spicigera is also a
hedge plant, its young pods are used as vegetable, a source of gum
On Mar 30, 7:01 pm, "J.M. Garg" <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I found it to be very useful for poor people in villages & towns, who
> depended on it for their fuel wood supllies.
>
> 2009/3/30 Anand Kumar Bhatt <anandkbh...@gmail.com>
>

> > But it is a weed, and a thoroughly useless tree.
> > akbhatt
>
> >   On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 8:37 AM, J.M. Garg <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >>   I found it to be a very much  part on saline water system along with
> >> other Mangrove species. It seems to have no problem as far as habitat is
> >> concerned.
> >> In an island Krishna WS, A.P. on 28/2/09.
> >> --
> >> With regards,
> >> J.M.Garg
> >> "We often ignore the beauty around us"
> >> Creating Awareness about Indian Flora & Fauna:
> >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jmgarg1
> >> For learning about our trees & plants, please visit/ join Google e-group
> >> (Indiantreepix)http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix?hl=en
>
> > --
> > Anand Kumar Bhatt
> > A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road
> > Gwalior. 474 005.
> > Tele: 0751-247 2233. Mobile 0 94253 09780.
> > My blogsite is at:
> >http://anandkbhatt.blogspot.com
> > And the photo site:
> >www.flickr.com/photos/akbhatt/
>
> --
> With regards,
> J.M.Garg
> "We often ignore the beauty around us"
> Creating Awareness about Indian Flora & Fauna:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jmgarg1
> For learning about our trees & plants, please visit/ join Google e-group
> (Indiantreepix)http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix?hl=en- Hide quoted text -

J.M. Garg

Mar 31, 2009, 8:49:50 PM3/31/09
to sibdas, indiantreepix
During my recent visit to Uppalapadu Bird Santtuary near Guntur, I found Prosopis juliflora was the only plant, which was used exclusively by Pelicans, Storks, Cormorants, Openbills, Herons etc. for nesting throughout the year. Possibly no other tree offered that much of advantages to them as Prosopis juliflora except for a few plants of Pithecellobium dulce (Jungle Jalebi, Manila tamarind, Monkeypod).

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Apr 3, 2009, 1:51:29 PM4/3/09
to J.M. Garg, sibdas, indiantreepix
My impression is that its biomass can only be used for composting, as it is not browsable. No doubt it is quick growing, and it can be used by poor people for their fuel use, but is it enough to introduce and propagate a weed which would not allow other plants to grow in ts vicinity? It is not native to ur country, and as I said foresters like it because of the little effort it takes to grow and develop it. Anyway nothing is useless, some use can always be found.
akbhatt