Malvaceae week 0905- 9112011 UD 012 Hibiscus VINE : Talipariti archiboldianum

ushadi Micromini

Sep 8, 2011, 4:27:30 AM9/8/11
to efloraofindia

Malvaceae week 0905-9112011 UD 012 Hibiscus VINE :  Talipariti archboldianum

Dear All:

At a botanical garden in Southern California , in a conservatory  (to save it from scorching heat and unrelenting sun, I think)  I found this…  Was new and different.. never imagined hibiscus would grow on a vine…

Unfortunately I had used up all the memory in the card, and ran out of lots of (all) the batteries… got these 4 pictures… the vine had only one flower… way up there… far  and could not see it too well…

But sending it in… just so if any one else has seen this.. or if its also available in some botanical garden in India….

The white label in picture 1 says it all…

Family:     Malvaceae

Subfamily:      Malvoideae

Tribe:              Hibisceae

Genus:                    Talipariti

Species                       Talipariti archboldianum

Synonyms:   Hibiscus archboldianum  **

** 1:   Talipariti archboldianum ssp. (Borrs.Waalk.) Fryxell var. Contr. Univ. Michigan Herb. 23: 234 (2001) is an accepted taxon

** 2:   Hibiscus archboldianus Borssum Waalkes, Reinwardtia 4(1): 59, f. 9. 1956.- Malvaceae  [Talipariti archboldianum (Borssum Waalkes) Fryxell, Contr. Univ. Michigan Herb. 23: 234. 2001.]

** (ref:   http://www.malvaceae.info/Synonymy/index.php )

Named  after  Richard Archbold, a naturalist of good reputation and vision, established  Archbold Biological Station in Florida, led several expeditions to the tropics and collected countless specimen… botanical and zoological… numerous species in Plant and Animal kingdoms have been named after him….

Regards/enjoy

Usha di

==

Hibiscus like red flower 1 TALIPARITI archboldianum 608 (1) sm LABEL.jpg
Hibiscus like red flower 2 TALIPARITI archboldianum 608 (3) sm crp HABIT.jpg
Hibiscus like red flower 3 TALIPARITI archboldianum 608 (3) sm crp FLOWER ZOOM.jpg
Hibiscus like red flower 4 TALIPARITI archboldianum 608 (2) sm LEAF front.jpg

Balkar Arya

Sep 8, 2011, 9:46:11 AM9/8/11
to ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
Thanks Ushadi ji for sharing these exotic pics
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat