Mussaenda erythrophylla- Pic-2

Shantanu Bhattacharya

Sep 10, 2010, 11:12:10 AM9/10/10
to efloraofindia
Hi
sharing snaps of the brilliant Mussaenda erythrophylla taken in my neighbourhood few days back.
Will post the pics of Mussaenda frondosa (white) soon.
regards
Shantanu ...

Shantanu Bhattacharya.
B.Sc, M.Sc (Zoology)
University of Calcutta.
Teaching Faculty.
Dept. of Biology.
Vivekananda Mission School(ICSE).
Joka. Kolkata.
musanda.jpg

mani nair

Sep 10, 2010, 1:10:04 PM9/10/10
to Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia
Beautiful Mussaenda.  This can be  easily propagated by air layering.

Regards,

Mani.

Shantanu

Sep 10, 2010, 2:33:27 PM9/10/10
to efloraofindia
Hi Mani ji....
what is done in air layering propagation??

Shantanu : )

On Sep 10, 10:10 pm, mani nair <mani.na...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Beautiful Mussaenda.  This can be  easily propagated by air layering.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mani.
>
> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 8:42 PM, Shantanu Bhattacharya <shnt...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Hi
> > sharing snaps of the brilliant Mussaenda erythrophylla taken in my
> > neighbourhood few days back.
> > Will post the pics of Mussaenda frondosa (white) soon.
> > regards
> > Shantanu ...
>
> > Shantanu Bhattacharya.
> > B.Sc, M.Sc (Zoology)
> > University of Calcutta.
> > Teaching Faculty.
> > Dept. of Biology.
> > Vivekananda Mission School(ICSE).
> > Joka. Kolkata.- Hide quoted text -

mani nair

Sep 11, 2010, 12:24:19 AM9/11/10
to Shantanu, efloraofindia
Make a cut just below a node on a thick branch of Mussaenda.  Surround the cut portion  with moist sphagnum moss that has been soaked in water and squeezed to remove excess moisture. Wrap the moss with plastic and  tie both ends with thread to retain moisture and to prevent  water from entering. After two -  three weeks you will see roots through the plastic.  Wait for two more weeks and then you can seperate the plant but cutting just below the roots.   The rooted plant can be planted  in a pot containing fresh garden soil mixed with some gobar.  When new leaves appear and the plant is well established you can repot it to a new bigger sized pot. These exercises are done during monsoon as the new plant will establish well during this time.

Please give a try.  Wish you all the best.

Regards,

Mani.

Shantanu

Sep 11, 2010, 1:51:15 AM9/11/10
to efloraofindia
Oh yes...we teach this method of artificial vegetative reproduction in
some classes. I completely forgot the name of air layering.
Thanks a lot for explaining the method.
i will definitely try it.

regards
Shantanu : )