Orchid in my Birthday platter: Dendrobium sonia, let us fix its correct name-GS15022023-1

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 14, 2023, 4:54:01 PM2/14/23
to efloraofindia, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Smita Raskar
Yesterday by son took us to a Mexican restaurant in Fremont California for my Birthday (it was still 13th February in California, but already 14th in India, my birthday). We were served an orchid as decoration on two platters. Smita ji identified this orchid as Dendrobium Sonia. Please help me in fixing correct scientific name: Dendrobium 'Sonia' or Dendrobium sonia 'Bom Jo Red' or Dendrobium 'Sonia Earsakul' or any other appropriate name. There is no accepted name as Dendrobium Sonia in important databases.
   It is supposed to be a cross between Dendrobium 'Caesar' and D. 'Tomie Drake'

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Dendrobium Sonia Fremont Mexican Restaurent-IMG_2986-a.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 14, 2023, 4:55:10 PM2/14/23
to efloraofindia, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Smita Raskar
One more image

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Dendrobium Sonia Fremont Mexican Restaurent-IMG_2980-a.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 14, 2023, 4:55:40 PM2/14/23
to efloraofindia, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Smita Raskar

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Dendrobium Sonia Fremont Mexican Restaurent-IMG_2978-a.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 14, 2023, 5:01:32 PM2/14/23
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Smita Raskar
Many many happy returns of the day sir.
Will have a look into this.
Hybrids are not at all easy. Sometimes they all look same...

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 14, 2023, 5:06:52 PM2/14/23
to Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia, Smita Raskar
Thanks a lot dear Pankaj. Will wait for your final resolution.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 14, 2023, 5:28:05 PM2/14/23
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Smita Raskar
There is indeed a hybrid registered as Dendrobium Sonia!! n 1984.

And your flower does match with this name at the following site.

While the first site is authentic, I am not sure about the second site.

Gurcharan Singh

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 14, 2023, 8:12:37 PM2/14/23
to Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia, Smita Raskar
So finally I think I found the solution.  It is Dendrobium Sonia (Dendrobium in italics-genus; Sonia with normal type but not within single quotes (cultivar) nor in italics with small s (specific epithet). Sonia is a Grex name, a term used exclusively for Orchid hybrids.
Waiting for Pankaj to say OK

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 14, 2023, 10:24:46 PM2/14/23
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Smita Raskar
Yes sir
Dendrobium Sonia
Best regards
Pankaj

taffa...@gmail.com

Feb 14, 2023, 10:29:46 PM2/14/23
to eFloraofIndia
Just to wish Gurcharan ji a very happy (though a little belated) birthday.Also this was an occasion for us to learn something new.
Regards
Taffazull

J.M. Garg

Feb 15, 2023, 12:42:49 AM2/15/23
to efloraofindia, GurcharanSingh
Many many happy returns of the day, Singh ji.
Wish you have a wonderful time and a year ahead.💐💐💐
--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

Saroj Kasaju