ID request -16022011-PKA1

Prashant awale

Feb 16, 2011, 12:32:54 PM2/16/11
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,

I had seen this climbing herb at CBD Belapur hills, Navi Mumbai.

Date/Time: 16-02-2011 / 09:15AM
Location: CBD Belapur Hills, Navi Mumbai
Habitat: Wild
Plant Habit: Herb (around 1m long)
Leaves: Alternate
Flowers: Yellow, Flower head around 3 to 4mm.

regards
Prashant
IMG_4546.jpg
IMG_4495.jpg
IMG_4499.jpg
IMG_4501.jpg
IMG_4518.jpg
IMG_4521.jpg
IMG_4530.jpg
IMG_4534.jpg
IMG_4535.jpg
IMG_4541.jpg
IMG_4553.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Feb 16, 2011, 12:56:08 PM2/16/11
to Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Baliospermum montanum ... commonly known as: red physic nut, wild castor, wild croton, wild sultan seed • Bengali: দন্তী danti, দন্তিগাছ dantigaacha • Hindi: दन्ती danti • Kannada: ದಮ್ತಿ damti, ಕಾಡು ಹರಳು kaadu haralu, ನಾಗದಮ್ತಿ naagadamti • Konkani: baktumbo • Malayalam: ചെറിയദന്തി ceriyadanthi, നാഗദന്തി naagadanthi • Marathi: दंती danti, कातरी katari • Nepalese: अजय पाल ajaya pal, दुधे झार dudhe jhaar • Oriya: ଏକ ପ୍ରକାରର ଔଷଧ • Sanskrit: दन्ती danti, दन्तिका dantika, दीर्घ dirgha, एरण्डपत्रिका erandhapatrika, एरण्डफला erandhaphala, मकूलकः makulakah, नागदन्ती nagadanti, नागविन्ना nagavinna, निकुम्भः nikumbha, प्रत्यक्श्रेणी pratyaksreni, रेचनी rechani, रूक्षा ruksha, शीघ्रा shigra, विशल्य vishalya, उडुम्बरपर्णी udumbaraparni • Tamil: பேயாமணக்கு pey-amanakku • Telugu: అడవి ఆముదము adavi amudamu, కొండ ఆముదము kond amudamu, నేల జీడి nela jidi, నేపాళము nepalamu

Regards.
Dinesh

Prashant awale

Feb 16, 2011, 1:03:43 PM2/16/11
to Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
Perfect. Thanks Dinesh for the ID. I had seen this plant for the first time.

 I had spotted 2 beetles on it and both gave good pose to my camera.

regards
Prashant

Neil Soares

Feb 16, 2011, 1:08:51 PM2/16/11
to Dinesh Valke, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Hi,
 They are not beetles but Jewel bugs [Chrysocoris stolli].
                   Regards,
                    Neil Soares.

Prashant awale

Feb 16, 2011, 1:15:42 PM2/16/11
to Neil Soares, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
Thanks Neil ji.
regards
Prashant

Dinesh Valke

Feb 16, 2011, 1:15:51 PM2/16/11
to Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Thanks to Nayan ji who had provided me this ID long ago !!
This herbaceous shrub is not a climbing herb as much have observed in forests around Thane ... though of course, the plant often grows slant up to a metre or two.

Regards.
Dinesh.

tanay bose

Feb 16, 2011, 1:34:54 PM2/16/11
to Dinesh Valke, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Baliospermum montanum previously this was in genus Jatropha
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 17, 2011, 9:46:31 AM2/17/11
to Dinesh Valke, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
This is very strange. Does this bug love Euphorbiaceae plants? If
anyone can throw some light on this. May be it loves Euphorbian latex
:))
I have seen it on Securinega most of the times.
Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Smilax004

Feb 17, 2011, 11:18:09 AM2/17/11
to efloraofindia
Nice observation from the pictures by Pankaj ji. This bug and other
relatives of this bug is a florivore. Generally they love to feed on
flower buds at its tender stage sometimes I saw them feeding the
nectary as well. My present study on Syzygium involves predation as
well. There I use to see a bug (we havent identified it) feeding on
the nectary and they partially damages the nectary and few occasions
it ultimately damages the flower itself. One has to check whether the
bug feed on the latex of Euphorbiacean members.
More studies are now on track to record the predation of several
species.
It happens with orchid flowers as well especially ground orchids.

Regards
Giby

On Feb 17, 7:46 pm, Pankaj Kumar <sahanipan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is very strange. Does this bug love Euphorbiaceae plants? If
> anyone can throw some light on this. May be it loves Euphorbian latex
> :))
> I have seen it on Securinega most of the times.
> Regards
> Pankaj
>

> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 11:45 PM, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks to Nayan ji who had provided me this ID long ago !!
> > This herbaceous shrub is not a climbing herb as much have observed in
> > forests around Thane ... though of course, the plant often grows slant up to
> > a metre or two.
>
> > Regards.
> > Dinesh.
>

> > On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 11:33 PM, Prashant awale <pkaw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Perfect. Thanks Dinesh for the ID. I had seen this plant for the first
> >> time.
>
> >>  I had spotted 2 beetles on it and both gave good pose to my camera.
>
> >> regards
> >> Prashant

Neil Soares

Feb 17, 2011, 12:45:14 PM2/17/11
to efloraofindia, Smilax004
Hi,
 Sending some of my photographs of the Jewel Bug [Chrysocoris stolli] taken at my farm at Shahapur.
                        With regards,
                          Neil Soares.

--- On Thu, 2/17/11, Smilax004 <giby.ku...@gmail.com> wrote:
Jewel Bug on flowering Antidesma bunius.jpg
Jewel Bugs on fruiting Antidesma bunius 1.jpg
Jewel Bugs on fruiting Antidesma bunius 2.jpg
Jewel Bug on flowering Breynia retusa [B.patens].jpg
Jewel Bug on fruiting Breynia retusa [B.patens].jpg
Jewel Bug On Casearia ovata [C.esculenta] 1.jpg
Jewel Bug On Casearia ovata [C.esculenta] 2.jpg