Convolvulaceae fruit lesser than pea-size

Dinesh Valke

Dec 11, 2009, 10:30:15 AM12/11/09
to Indian Tree Pix
Dear friends,

Creeper with large leaves, minute yellow flowers - just about 2 - 3 mm; round fruits about 5 mm.

Place: near Panorama Point, Matheran
Date: 08 DEC 09

ID please.

Regards,
P1100949_crop.jpg
P1100937.jpg
P1100939.jpg
P1100949.jpg

Dr Santhosh Kumar

Dec 11, 2009, 10:50:54 AM12/11/09
to Dinesh Valke, Indian Tree Pix
Dinesh Ji,

This is a Cucurbitaceae member. Forgot its name now?????

Santhosh

SANTHOSH
Dr. E.S. Santhosh Kumar
Tropical Botanic Garden and Research Institute, Palode
Thiruvananthapuram-695562
Kerala
India
www.drsanthosh.wetpaint.com

Vijayadas D

Dec 12, 2009, 12:33:36 AM12/12/09
to Dr Santhosh Kumar, Dinesh Valke, Indian Tree Pix
Whether it is cucumis?
VijayadasD
Horticulturalist / Estates Supervisor Deputy
Electro Saudi Services Ltd
Salwa Garden Village
Riyadh-11462,PBNO-7210
KSA
vijayadas.wetpaint.com

Ferns are funniest plants..............!!!!!

Dinesh Valke

Dec 12, 2009, 1:52:18 PM12/12/09
to C KUNHIKANNAN, Indian Tree Pix
Kunhikannan ji, the concern is that the fruit as well as the flowers in this case, are approximately half the size of M. maderaspatana (syn. of Cucumis maderaspatanus).
Assuming some kind of stunted growth, it does look like M. maderaspatana.

Friends, please comment.

Regards.

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 11:56 PM, C KUNHIKANNAN <kunhi...@gmail.com> wrote:
this seems to be Mukia madaraspatna of Cucurbitaceae. when mature fruits become red in colour
kunhikannan

Dr. C.Kunhikannan,
Division of Biodiversity,
Institute of Forest Genetics and Tree Breeding,
Forest Campus,  R.S.Puram,
Coimbatore-641002, Tamilnadu.

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 25, 2010, 9:29:21 AM1/25/10
to Dinesh Valke, C KUNHIKANNAN, Indian Tree Pix
Dinesh ji
To me the fruits appear young and not fully developed, so size should not be the concern.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

J.M. Garg

Feb 26, 2010, 3:24:59 AM2/26/10
to efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, Dr. Santhosh Kumar, Vijayadas D

Earlier relevant feedback:

“This is a Cucurbitaceae member. Forgot its name now?????

Santhosh”

“Whether it is cucumis?” from Vijayadas ji.

“this seems to be Mukia madaraspatna of Cucurbitaceae. when mature fruits become red in colour
kunhikannan”

"Kunhikannan ji, the concern is that the fruit as well as the flowers in this case, are approximately half the size of M. maderaspatana (syn. of Cucumis maderaspatanus).
Assuming some kind of stunted growth, it does look like M. maderaspatana.
Friends, please comment."

"To me the fruits appear young and not fully developed, so size should not be the concern.
--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh"

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

P1100949_crop.jpg
P1100937.jpg
P1100939.jpg
P1100949.jpg

J.M. Garg

Mar 15, 2010, 8:54:04 AM3/15/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Dr. Santhosh Kumar, Dinesh Valke, C KUNHIKANNAN, Gurcharan Singh, Vijayadas D
Dear All,
The plant is

Mukia maderaspatana (L.) M.Roem. [family CUCURBITACEAE]

Synonymy:

  • ≡ Bryonia scabrella L.f. [family CUCURBITACEAE]
  • ≡ Mukia scabrella (L.) Arn. [family CUCURBITACEAE]
  • = Cucumis maderaspatanus L. [family CUCURBITACEAE]
  • = Melothria maderaspatana (L.) Cogn. [family CUCURBITACEAE]
Climber or trailer to 2.5 m. from perennial woody rootstock; stems roughly bristly-hairy. Leaf-blade sagittate, hastate, triangular, ovate or broadly ovate in outline, often  cordate, sinuate-toothed and sometimes irregularly dentate-lobulate, scabrid-hairy, 12–113 mm. long, 14–110 mm. broad, unlobed or  3(–5)-lobed; middle lobe triangular, broadest below, or sometimes slightly narrowed towards the base, and much the largest; lateral lobes ovate-triangular; petiole rough-hairy, 3–82 mm. long. Male flowers on 1–3 mm. long pedicels; receptacle-tube 1–2 mm. long, dark-hairy; lobes triangular-subulate, 0.5–1 mm. long; petals yellow, 1.5–2 mm. long, 1–1.3 mm. broad. Female flowers 5–10 in separate clusters on 1 mm. long pedicels; ovary green, globose, shortly beaked, bristly with dark forward-pointing hairs, 1.5–3 mm. long, 1.2–2.5 mm. across; receptacle-tube 1 mm. long; lobes triangular, 0.5–0.8 mm. long; petals  1 mm. long and broad. Fruits subsessile in axillary clusters of 1–7, bright scarlet and glabrous, smooth, subglobose, 6–11 mm. in diameter. Seeds ovate in outline, bordered, scrobiculate, 4–5.5  2–3  1.2–1.7 mm. Fig. 19, p. 116.
Regards
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

Pardeshi S.

Mar 16, 2010, 5:41:05 AM3/16/10
to efloraofindia
it is Mukia maderaspatana (L.) M.Roem for sure

Regards
Satish Pardeshi