unid plant at cec dt. 12th aug 09

shubhada nikharge

Aug 14, 2009, 4:01:47 AM8/14/09
to indian tree pix
hi,
request for identification of the shrub grown in monsoon.
pic taken at Conservation Education Centre at Goregaon East, Mumbai.
date: 12th Aug 2009

cheers,
shubhada

Looking for local information? Find it on Yahoo! Local
unid 2009_0812_cec_0135 e.JPG

Dinesh Valke

Aug 14, 2009, 4:20:41 AM8/14/09
to shubhada nikharge, indian tree pix
... looks very similar to what you showed us as Amorphophallus commutatus ?
Regards.

shubhada nikharge

Aug 14, 2009, 5:45:10 AM8/14/09
to Dinesh Valke, indian tree pix
Dinesh ji,
it does look similar to Amorphophallus commutatus. But I have seen Amorphophallus plant growing almost every alternate day and photographed them at different stages. At no point of time it looked like the one with circular branching pattern.
i have attached the pics of both again for comparison.
cheers,
shubhada

Aug 14, 2009, 6:02:39 AM8/14/09
to shubhada nikharge, indian tree pix
:) Thank you very much, Shubhada ji.
(I see these at Tungareshwar Wildlife Sanctaury ... and somehow always ignored them !!)

Regards.

Neil Soares

Aug 14, 2009, 8:50:39 AM8/14/09
to indian tree pix, shubhada nikharge
Hi Shubhada,
   It looks like Tacca leontopetaloides locally called Devkanda.
                      Regards,
                        Neil.

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 14, 2009, 11:48:22 AM8/14/09
to shubhada nikharge, indian tree pix
Such pedate leaves are found in some species of Arisaema in Himalayas. Does this genus grow in Mumbai?

Gurcharan Singh
Aug 15, 2009, 12:34:18 PM8/15/09
to Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, shubhada nikharge, indian tree pix
Hello friends,
All I can say is that it is a tuber. It starts sprouting after a few showers.
Regards
Yazdy.

Pardeshi S.

Aug 17, 2009, 2:06:17 AM8/17/09
to indiantreepix
Hello all
just check it with Sauromatum Species?---Araceae

regards

J.M. Garg

Aug 28, 2009, 12:32:41 PM8/28/09
to indiantreepix, shubhada nikharge, Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh-sify, satish pardeshi, Yazdy Palia, Neil Soares
Hi, Shubhada ji,
Did you get your Id from any of the feedbacks?

Aug 29, 2009, 10:33:24 AM8/29/09
to indiantreepix
It is leaf of Sauromatum venosum

navendu

J.M. Garg

Sep 1, 2009, 2:37:10 AM9/1/09
to indiantreepix, shubhada nikharge, Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh-sify, satish pardeshi, Yazdy Palia, Neil Soares
Reply from Pardesi ji:
"Hello Shubhada Ji
it is Sauromatum species-Araceae.
regards