Box Elder Acer negundo (Male plant) from Srinagar

taffa...@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2024, 2:54:06 AMApr 1
to eFloraofIndia
Dear Members,
Am posting some photos of Box Elder (Acer negundo ) an introduced  monoecious  plant
species from Srinagar.  The male plant has long attractive flowers which hang in panicles and appear just before the leaves in March .It seems that photos of male flowering plants from this locality have not been posted before here. Previous posts by Gurcharan Ji and Aarti Ji are of leaves which appear just after flowers.  It is also called Ash Maple because the leaves are pinnately compound as in Ash.
Habitat:  Corner of a field in Srinagar
Habit: Tree 15-20 feet high
Inflorescence: Flowers hanging in panicles at the end of long hairy pedicels 3-4cm or more in length.
Petals: Absent
Perianth: minute

Regards
Taffazull

BRANCH.JPG
Inflorescence.JPG
FLOWER.JPG
TREE.JPG
FLOWER.JPG

taffa...@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2024, 2:57:33 AMApr 1
to eFloraofIndia
All photos taken in last week of March 2024.
All photos under CC licence (Attribution only needed)

taffa...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2024, 7:08:19 AMApr 2
to eFloraofIndia
Two more photos
Pollen Grains at X 750 and X 225 magnification

POLLENGRAINS X 225.JPG
POLLENGRAINS X 750.JPG

J.M. Garg

Apr 2, 2024, 7:23:25 AMApr 2
to efloraofindia, TAFA
Thanks, Taffazul ji
--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 7, 2024, 12:16:26 AMApr 7
to eFloraofIndia
Yes Taffazul ji, I had clicked it in July, 2011  when it was fruiting in Hazuribagh garden, where we spent our childhood.

Acer-negundo-Hazuribagh-DSC02881-a.jpg

taffa...@gmail.com

Apr 12, 2024, 7:43:35 AMApr 12
to eFloraofIndia
Thanks Gurcharan ji for confirmation

taffa...@gmail.com

May 3, 2024, 7:37:02 AM (yesterday) May 3
to eFloraofIndia
Photo of pinnately compound leaf. Most maples have palmate leaves. This is the only Acer species which can have more than three leaflets.
Pinnately compound leaf.JPG